Lt D R Geraint Jones, 3rd Mons, KIA 28 Jun 44

106102329_10216826697036297_800257162452425892_o.jpg
73504801_10216826697916319_1489643644776607498_o.jpg

Me recently at Geraints grave. After I finally found a photo of him I printed 20 copies including his poem 'Your peace of bought with mine'. One was placed on his grave and the rest are in the visitors book.

A short history I read of the 1st Herefords mentioned that the Brigadier was relieved just after the start of Epsom and replaced by Lt Col Churcher, CO of 1st Herefords. However, it didn't seem to improve command matters very much, as he was constantly at loggerheads with the Brigadier of 29 Armd Bde and the GOC kept having to mediate between the two men.

Yes, 3rd Mons had a hard war. A friend's Uncle Evan Rees served with the battalion right through from Normandy to Germany. Losing the entire company at Mouen during Epsom was bad enough, but he said that the two worst days for the battalion were the Battle of the 'NorMons' (La Pavee, at the southern tip of the Bluecoat salient) and the Battle of Broekhuizen, where they were attacking a castle held by Fallschirmjager. The CO was killed in the middle of the drawbridge, leading the assault "like Henry V at Harfleur". At Broekhuizen they lost 140 men, including ten officers.

As has been mentioned, there is absolutely nothing for me to add what is not already known.

The only thing that I can bring to the table is a copy of the Probate Calendar relating to David's will:

Probate Calendar.jpg

As you can see, he left an estate that realised nearly £650-a not inconsiderable sum for a 22-year old man in 1944.

Fortunately, the War Diary of the 3rd Monmouths has survived and is held at the National Archives: unfortunately, it has not been digitised.

However, as the date search parameters are quite narrow, the relevant pages can be ordered though there are-obviously-associated costs.

Good luck with your search!

As has been mentioned, there is absolutely nothing for me to add what is not already known.

The only thing that I can bring to the table is a copy of the Probate Calendar relating to David's will:

View attachment 487516

As you can see, he left an estate that realised nearly £650-a not inconsiderable sum for a 22-year old man in 1944.

Fortunately, the War Diary of the 3rd Monmouths has survived and is held at the National Archives: unfortunately, it has not been digitised.

However, as the date search parameters are quite narrow, the relevant pages can be ordered though there are-obviously-associated costs.

Good luck with your search!
Cheers mate, that adds another piece to the story. I know that Lloyd already has a copy of the 3 Mons War Diary. When it arrived the three platoon commanders lost with 'C' Coy at Mouen on the 28th were listed by name and he wasn't one of them, which got us scratching our heads (lesson learned: never assume...). Further investigation by Lloyd revealed that he was a Bde LO with 159 Bde, so he's now looking at documents relating to HQ 159 Bde.

159 Bde HQ Officers

Back row (standing):
Lt H J C Lloyd; Capt A C Solomon; Capt A Harland; Capt PH Andrews; Capt F J Smith; Lt R J Horwood; Lt D R G Jones; 2/Lt C E Tonry*

Front row (sitting):
Capt F A Bowyer; Capt D B Miller; Major R E J StJohn; Brig J G Sandie DSO MC; Major N Ashton-Hill; Capt D N Fox; Capt F E Shepherd.

* Clive Tonry (Royal Signals) had been a signaller with the BEF in 1940 and had been evacuated from Dunkirk. He remained in the Army after the war and went on to retire as a Brigadier in 1965. He and my father reconnected after his retirement and they remained in touch until Clive died in 2010. He also kept up with Harry Lloyd in later years after he responded to a letter that my father had published in The Times in 1972, lamenting the absence of memorials which told the story of the British contribution in Normandy. Harry was one of those on the motor bike.

I am also attaching another photograph of Jones taken on a route march in the Aldershot area in May 1944. He is second from the left. The others are Tonry, Lloyd, Fox and Solomon.

Do you by any chance have a copy of the book of his poems to which my father referred? I know that he took it with him when I accompanied him to Normandy in the 1970s but I have not been able to find it amongst the possessions that I have inherited.

Attachments

Hello Ian,

Did you get my private message? I would very much like to call and speak with you on the phone if possible please.

I would like to ask your permission to use the photos in my book please.

Cheers

Lloyd

Latest Threads