Lt Col Will Townend RIP

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Pteranadon, Apr 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lietenant Colonel Will Townend the secretary of the Royal Artillery Historical Society died on Tuesday after a shoirt illness. There is a family funeral next week and a memorial service at Larkhill Church in May.

Will Townend has spent the last decades serving the Gunners, our history and heritage. He always seemed extraordinarialy helpful and generous with his time. If anyone wanted infromation about Gunner history he would help.

2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Sadly did not know Col Will, but respect for what he has done for the Gunner family.

3. This is very sad

Colonel Will was a lovely man and I know he was looking forward to his retirement.

My condolences to his family.

4. Sad to hear this. Knew him in an earlier life, a real gentleman.

Not that good on the hill however...

5. I last spoke to him around Christmas time when he was telling me about the book he was writing, re the gunners involvment on D day and beyond, did he ever get to finish it?
    My thoughts are with his wife and Frances his daughter.

If somebody could PM his address I would like to send a card of condolences to his wife.

6. A sad day for the Gunners, Did a couple of Battlefield Tours with Will he was very entertaining and good company. RIP

7. Very sad news - I knew him to be a very kind and wise gentleman. Will be sorely missed. Rest in peace, Colonel.

8. Condolences to his family...Col Townend was kind enough to put me right whilst researching my Bty history. He was an old Talaveran and guided me in the right direction, even though i was giving him a hard time about RAHS membership. A true gentleman and definitely a Gunner scholar...RIP.

9. Knew Will. He was an ornament to the GBG and the Royal Regiment. I think he thought Op Telic was arranged so he could view the Mesopotamian battlefields at his leisure!

Very sad news.

10. Not to my knowldge.

If there is anyone out there who is interested in collaborating on some of the projects he was working on I'd be happy to work with them to see if we can finish some of them.

I'd like to see for the Regiment (and Will)

- The 21 Army Group Gunner orbat
    - The 1st day of the Somme fire plan.

These are worthwhile projects that do not deserve to be laid to rest with Will.

11. A wonderful man and a true gentleman. One of the few who genuinely combined superb intellect with superb leadership. He was my CO when I was a young UOTC cadet. He will always be fondly remembered by the Blue Contemtibles of the mid-90s vintage.

Rest in Peace Sir

12. Colonel Wills memorial service will be on 1st July at Larkhill Garrison Church at 2.15pm.

I saw sight of his laptop today when Felicity (one of his twin daughters) came to see me regarding this picture of him, the screen saver was a World War II image of a 25 Pdr and limber firing at night, exactly what I would have expected of the man!

Attached Files:

13. Very sad news. I did a battlefield tour with Col. Townend and my grandfather when I was 16. Had a brilliant time and learnt a lot from him over those few days. It was great to meet someone with such a passion for regimental history.

RIP

14. Seconded, he will be, dare I say it, almost impossible to replace, although I understand there is a candidate under consideration as the next secretary of the RAHS.