Lt Col Paddy Mayne lapel pin.

#1
Spotted this one on E-bay.

A nice little collectable. There has been many a thread or two on this fine officer.

 
#3
Splendid. I recently wrote to the management of the George Best Belfast City Airport, and suggested that if they really felt they had to name the airport, instead of naming it for a drunken wife-beating ball-kicker, they should have considered someone who, whilst colourful in his own way, had actually served his country in a more substantial way - Paddy Blair-Mayne DSO***.

I have received a holding reply, and await the full response.
 
#4
ViroBono said:
Splendid. I recently wrote to the management of the George Best Belfast City Airport, and suggested that if they really felt they had to name the airport, instead of naming it for a drunken wife-beating ball-kicker, they should have considered someone who, whilst colourful in his own way, had actually served his country in a more substantial way - Paddy Blair-Mayne DSO***.

I have received a holding reply, and await the full response.
I would not hold your breath waiting for a reply ViroBono, not with the IRA haveing been shacked up with the Third Reich during World War 2, like supposedly in that scheme of things the Ites and the Krauts were fighting for the rights of small nations..........oh look, I just saw a Halal flying pig land at Belfast City Airport.

Saludos Amigos
Zapata
 
#5
#6
Zapata_rides! said:
Osprey had a book on the LRDG but it was out of print, though it might be back.
A Sting In The Tail by any chance Zap? Agree with you there VB, I like the idea of flying into Paddy Mayne International, might be a bad omen for any German planes landing there though, considering his enthusiasm for wreaking them.
 
#7
http://www.lrdg.org/index.html

Bennett said:
Zapata_rides! said:
Osprey had a book on the LRDG but it was out of print, though it might be back.
A Sting In The Tail by any chance Zap? Agree with you there VB, I like the idea of flying into Paddy Mayne International, might be a bad omen for any German planes landing there though, considering his enthusiasm for wreaking them.
it was in one of the soft-back series here, below:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/

Saludos Amigos
Zapata
 
#11
Paddy Mayne deserves at least a bust or, as someone suggested, an airport.

Not a bloody lapel badge!

My point re loyalists was that they're known for tacky wee things like this.
 
#13
Taz_786 said:
Paddy Mayne deserves at least a bust or, as someone suggested, an airport.

Not a bloody lapel badge!

My point re loyalists was that they're known for tacky wee things like this.
The point about the Man deserving an airport or something else important named after him is a good one, but a wrong and a right does not make two wrongs! Just because of a wrong i.e. there is not something major like an airport named after him, does not make it wrong for people to seek to honour him in a small personal way, particularly as the people who would wish to wear something like the lapel badge, would no doubt be delighted to see something like the airport named after him.

Saludos Amigos
Zapata
 
#20
Taz_786 said:
Calm down, all I meant was that some loyalist memorabilia is rather tacky and that Paddy Mayne deserves better.

Take a chill pill!
Yep that's a fair point, you would have to admit though, it [ i.e. the label pin ] is not a tiny fraction as tacky as the dome in Greenwich and didn't cost one billion sterling plus of tax payers' molah.

Saludos Amigos
Zapata
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Top