• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Lt. Col. Mark McKnight "Ive never actually been shot at"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/22/AR2005112200296.html

Iraqi officers and officials, the American diplomat and the top U.S. commander in Iraq all watched proudly, the American officer at the podium spoke of progress...

Uninvited, though evidently aware of the time and place of the event, Iraq's insurgents stole the show Tuesday at a ceremony marking the handover of one of Saddam Hussein's U.S.-commandeered palaces, launching a single mortar shell at mid-speech.
"I knew I wasn't a very good speaker, but I've never actually been shot at," Lt. Col. Mark McKnight, who presided over the ceremony, joked after starting his speech again.
Btw, gen.Casey hasn't battlefield experience too, so probably it was a first time then he have been shot at.

"There are people in Iraq out to stop progress, and as you saw here today, they can't," Casey said, his camouflage cap still squarely in place after the scramble.
Of course they can't but I suspect that gen.Casey will think twice before uttending similar ceremony in the future. What if 'people in Iraq' would be more successful in 'stopping of progress'?

Sergey, I think he means that he has never been shot at during a speech. He is making a joke at his own expense suggesting that his speech must be pretty bad to shoot at him.

Still, I could be wrong.

Birdie_Numnums said:
Sergey, I think he means that he has never been shot at during a speech. He is making a joke at his own expense suggesting that his speech must be pretty bad to shoot at him.

Still, I could be wrong.
Roger!

Of course he meant namely this (as word 'to shoot' has a lot of meanings) and I understood the joke. Anyway the phrase itself sounds funny.