Lt. Col. "Mad" Jack Churchill

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by growler, Feb 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Read obituary in telegraph a couple? of years ago. Since seen odd bits in books about him. Does anyone know if there was ever a biography of his exploits? Thanks
  2. It's here: -

Strange bloke, but then he was a MANCHESTER (or should that be a KINGO?)
  3. There was also a profile of him on the C4 programme 'COMMANDOS',Some of his troops said he played the bagpipes just before the first commando raids in Norway.

What a bloke :)
  4. Thanks for that.In the obit it said that after he retired fm military he worked in London & commuted each day on the train. Passengers on the return journey used to be surprised when he would get up, open the window and chuck his briefcase out. They were not to know that he was flinging it into his own back garden!
  5. Growler you git I was going to relate that story.

I used to work with his son, Rodney, but I had no idea that his father was his father. As far as I know he was the only man to command a Para Bn and a Royal Marine Commando. I also seem to recall that he used a longbow to kill German sentries.

Awesome, awesome.
  6. There's a photo of him in one of the standard books on the commandos showing him wading ashore from a landing craft with drawn sword ...
  7. Didn't he used to be the Brylcream man, Pre war :?: