LT AC Heggs

oldbaldy

LE
Looking help a friend.
His grandfather, who died in 1939, Lt Alfred Charles Heggs, Machine Gun Corps, was awarded the MC for an action at Passhendaele.
His has the medal in a case & inside it says 'Poelcappelle, Passhendael Ridge 12 Oct 1917'
He has the medal card & Gazette but is struggling to find out more about the award.
Anyone any ideas?

Looking help a friend.
His grandfather, who died in 1939, Lt Alfred Charles Heggs, Machine Gun Corps, was awarded the MC for an action at Passhendaele.
His has the medal in a case & inside it says 'Poelcappelle, Passhendael Ridge 12 Oct 1917'
He has the medal card & Gazette but is struggling to find out more about the award.
Anyone any ideas?

Doesn't the Gazette carry the citation?

oldbaldy

LE

oldbaldy

LE
Service record at the National Archives ?
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1147121?descriptiontype=Full&ref=WO 339/93297
And a little bit on the chap here, army numbers and previous service with the Royal Leicestershire Regiment....
http://www.royalleicestershireregiment.org.uk/have-you-a-tiger/record/28677/?s=1
I've passed him the National Archives link, he told me he'd been to Kew & done a search but didn't mention that. Mind you this was a conversation last night at the end of a very long dinner party!

I've passed him the National Archives link, he told me he'd been to Kew & done a search but didn't mention that. Mind you this was a conversation last night at the end of a very long dinner party!

It's possible that the Gazette does have the citation but never digitised it.

Drew5233

Old-Salt
Hi

WW1 citations are notoriously hard to find. I don't focus too much of my research on WW1 but I've never been able to find any at the National Archives, by comparison I have copies of all the WW2 gallantry citations that the National Archives have. The LG in the main just list the names of recipients, actual citations are rare and those that are published are edited down in many cases like the Victoria Cross ones for example - They are not the complete citation.

Your best bet as suggested is the Company war diary and the ref is below along with a link to buy it for £3.30 from the National Archives.

WO 95/3001 214 Machine Gun Company 1916 Dec - 1918 Feb
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355101

Cheers
Andy

oldbaldy

LE
@Drew5233 , thanks, he's sent off for the diary,.
An interesting fact about this chap, he was originally in the Leicestershire Regt & kept being recommended for commission, he wouldn't do it as he wanted to continue serving with his mates. He eventually said yes as there was no one left in his company he knew!

Drew5233

Old-Salt
You can download it, so no need to wait.

If you want a copy of the WO 339/93297 file drop me a message. I'm at the National Archives all this week from tomorrow and can copy it for you at 10p per page as opposed to the £1.20 something per page the National Archives charge.

Alfred Charles HEGGS:

Pte 12805 Leicester Regt

Pte 104784 Machine Gun Corps

2nd Lt/Lt MGC-commissioned into MGC 25 Aug 1917

Entered France 29 Jul 1915 and entitled to a 1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. Alfred applied for his medals (WWI officers were obliged to do so) on 29 Jun 1921.

His forwarding address was given as 11 Trafford Rd, Leicester.

Sadly, the full citation for his MC may not be available, but good luck!

Of further interest, the MGC Medal Roll has transposed his Christian and second names, thus he appears as Charles Alfred.

@oldbaldy - if you would like a copy of his MIC, drop me a pm with an off-world email address.

oldbaldy

LE
@FourZeroCharlie I've given him a copy of the medal card plus all his gazette entries (commission, award of MC, promotion to Lt & relinquish of his commission. Family have his MC & his 3 other medals.