lsws

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Little_Lion_Man, Jul 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i heard a rumor that the lsw can be adapted to fire from link is this true?
    also why dont the army give lsw gunners 100 round drums instead of 28 round mags?

2. Keep Hoping!

3. Cos the Minimi (LMG) has 100 round capacity and the LSW is to be used as a Designated Marksman Rifle (like a sniper rifle at section level) in future...

Edit: I've been wahed haven't I?

4. How the F do you feed link into a LSW, a clockwork drum might work but?

5. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

lsw from the left handside:

[​IMG]

lsw from the righthand side:

[​IMG]

now look at the position breech and the position of the magazine and have a wee thinkie to yourself.

damnit walked right into that: numptie :x

6. it just seems a bit thick to issue a weapon designated as a light support weapon and then feed it on 28 round mags.

7. The BREN gun managed all through WW2

8. Oh I don't know, the Bren was an excellent weapon.

9. Yeah, managed to be outgunned by the MG-42 feeding from link in the LMG role. But then as clealry stated above thats not the LSW's job any more...

10. I do wonder if the magazines of the Bren, or magazines on the minimi make them superior light machine guns in the attack, so you don't have free link flying all over the place, if that makes sense.

11. Not really as the 100rds link bags are more than adequate for that task. The 200 bags are too flimsy and ammo gets twisted and the 200rds box is just fecking annoyingly noisy and pops open at random points.

The magazine option is just useful incase your link goes walkies for whatever reason. This extra option makes it fantastic for section level tasks.

Are they still feeding that 28 rds bollocks in the factory? I don't know of anybody who has done that in years and I've heard of few problems with the new A2 mags in relation to this.

12. Sorry, I meant the link bag - I couldn't for the life of me remember the proper name!!

13. I seem to recall an experiment at RMCS Shrivenham in the 80s when we compared the accuracy of the Bren and the MG42 shooting at 2 separate targets, burst apiece over 30 seconds, at 100m. Perhaps surprisingly the Bren got more rounds on target - and we used the same gunner for both weapons.

14. On the original ZB 26 in 7.92x 57mm a 100 round magazine could be fitted but because the british didn't want to waste ammo it was never issued, there may have been a problem with the 303 round having a rim

15. Im sure there are still people serving who would quite happilly have the old LMG i.e the Bren, back at the minute. Quite surprised to recently see some pics of yanks using the M14 to this day as a sort of sharp shooters rifle. In fact, I bet there are old and bold who would even like to see the L42 back.