LSAP for the TA

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by oldcolt, Mar 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This doesn't apply to me as I already own my own home however; I have a few TA colleagues who would qualify for the LSAP as first time buyers if they were regulars. Given that we sign on for a set period - 12 years - would a TA soldier be able to qualify for the LSAP albeit at a reduced rate?

As my civvi job is an estate agent, I occasionally have colleagues in my unit ask me how they can get on the housing ladder as we have one of the highest house price to earning ratios in the UK in our area; making it very difficult for local first time buyers to buy. Any referenced help would be appreciated.

I did search for this but it doesn't seem to have been covered and, as an unusual question, the admin staff I have spoken too in my unit were not sure.

Thanks in Advance.
  2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

My understanding of LSAP is that it is an advance of pay - in effect a draw down on part of the pension fund.

The TA soldier has no pension, and as they are not tied into any meaningful contract there are no guaranteed future earnings which can be advanced against. We may sign 12 year contracts, but are not held to them.

Frankly, not going to happen.
  3. Oldcolt I suspect as they are TA they live in the real world and as such have to do things for themselves.

Try getting a grant for your Mess dress never mind expect help with housing!
  4. I thought not, but its always worth checking.... unless anyone KNOWS any different. The bounty is, after all, supposed to be in lieu of pension etc etc etc
  5. Simply, no. Whether we should or not, as a retention initiative, different story. But remember that the point of LSAP was to address the difficulty relatively senior people had getting on to an appropriate bit of the housing ladder having been in MQs for years. As we're not entitled to MQs, clearly no need for LSAP ...
  6. Thank you folks. As you said Idrach whether it should be or not is a different question. I still doubt the legality of classing us as 'casual labourers' yet expecting us to committ for set periods/ hit required number of tests etc to qualify for continued employment etc. A debate that has been done to death but is, nonetheless, still valid.
  7. Just to update:

8. Thanks. :)