LS&GC info

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Shaithis, Apr 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pretty much what the title says.

I will be coming up to that point soon, and was just wondering what sort of stuff stops you getting the GC part of it (o:

I have been a naughty boy in the past. have spent some time in the guardroom cells. had ROPS, been fined had warning orders, is there a certain amount of time or fines that will make it a no no to get?

The longest i have been in detention is 14days (many many years ago), the warning order was for 3 months, the biggest fine i had was £318.00 (10% of the damage i caused :twisted: ) ROPs for 7 days

Have i kissed the GC part goodbye with all of that ??

Any info, good or bad would be welcome.

Ta.

2. As long as you have 15 clear years I believe. Missed mine by 60 odd days, even after a redress. ****--s.

CTC

3. 7 days pay/Regt entry or above I believe.

Got mine, fcuk knows how :?

4. I'll be part of the no LS&GC Club, 2 regt entrys for 1 offence.

5. 14 days SUS?

No chance.

Don't even think a begging letter to the CO will do much good with that on your record.

It doesn't come with any money attached and civies really really don't give a sh1t so why bother getting all upset about it?

No I don't have one :)

6. Totally clean Rap sheet here, according to Glasgow mine is at the engravers. 15 years of undetected crime!

7. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

He who sends begging letter sometimes receives, I did :lol:

8. me too. :? :D :? :D

9. I've seen people refused their LS&GC while using that line as a basis for their appeal.

I dont think a Regt entry is an immediate no, but the crime committed has bearing on the decision. I would imagine alcohol, voilence (especially a mixture of the two), drink driving (especially on duty) will be the kind of thing frowned upon. I think with 14 days under your belt and 3 month benders you've got no chance, especially if you were wearing rank at the time of the offence.

10. Three month benders will be time spent and should not have gone outside unit documents.

14 days clink, unless it was for a prevalent offence and so long as you have 15 years clear since, so long as you have an amenable CO, a plea of mitigation should work.

11. If they think that I'll be writing a snivelling letter saying that I'm sorry for sparking a "monkey" out they've got another thing coming even if it was 16 years ago. No LS & GC for this callsign!

12. You have kissed the LS part of it goodbye too. You don’t get one without the other.

15 years clear from your last Regt entry (the last time you was in front of the CO) IICR. Or a superb letter of mitigation from your C of C

13. Pleas of mitigation have always been a problem for me. The soldier in front of you is now the best WO/SNCO in the unit but doesn't have that all too important medal. And here he is (invariably a "he", girls don't get caught... :D ), asking you to draft a plea of mitigation. I can explain to the CoC that youthful exuberance and much tactical planning led, for example, to the CO's staff car winning the Hampshire Best Banger Racing Car Award, but there is little one can do when faced with a career of detected and punished crime that stretches back decades, other than to laugh out loud!

I have drafted several pleas of mitigation over the years but only one was successful, IIRC. That may be down to poor drafting on my part but, in general, if you have had the book thrown at you, you deserved it - and you are barred from receiving the LS&GC.

As it says on the box: for 15 years of undetected crime!

A long while ago, I supported a SNCO through a very difficult period which culminated in a Court Martial. He was duly convicted and punished, although the sentence was lighter than many had predicted. Afterwards, he marched into my office to thank me, and then asked, in all seriousness, if he would receive his LS&GC the following year. :D

All details have been fabricated to protect the guilty... :D

Litotes

14. Qualifying criteria (from source)

A soldier who completes 15 years reckonable service from date of attestation (Enlistment (pre-JPA) / Contract Date(JPA) or age 17½, whichever is later, shall be eligible for consideration, though there are a number of offences/misconduct which would normally preclude award of the LS&GCM. Awards are only made after a comprehensive check of a soldier's record of service.

As this medal requires the recommendation of the individuals' commanding officer, it can only be awarded to serving personnel.

A soldier who, subsequent to award of the Medal, goes on to complete a further 15 years service shall be eligible for award of the Clasp to the LS&GCM provided that the conduct/discipline criteria have been met.

An Officer shall be eligible for award of the LS&GCM if 12 or more of the 15 years service has been in the ranks and provided that the other criteria have been met. An Officer shall be eligible for award of the Clasp if 22 or more of the 30 years service has been in the ranks and provided that the other criteria have been met.

Prior to 1 December 1977, 18 years service was required for consideration for the LS&GCM.

The qualifying criteria are laid out in the Queens Regulations Paras 5.393 - 5.396 and 10.008 - 10.0011.

Hope the above helps in this discussion.

15. Qualifying Criteria for the Meritorious Service medal (MSM)

This same medal is issued to personnel in all the services, although the administration procedures differ between them. The eligibility criteria are the same for the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army and Royal Air Force. To become eligible for consideration, other ranks personnel must have 20 years reckonable service, attained the rank of substantive Sergeant (if in the Army or RAF) and be a holder of the Long Serrvice and Good Conduct Medal. Officers may be considered on one occasion only, immediately after commissioning, provided they meet the other criteria.

Award of the Medal requires good, faithful, valuable and meritorious service with conduct judged to be irreproachable throughout. The Service Boards look for evidence of particular achievements, whether in the course of military duty or in extra-mural involvement which benefits the service or the public in the field of sport or such things as charitable work. To reinforce the special character of the MSM, limits are placed on the number that may be awarded annually. No more than 49 may be awarded in the RN, 3 in the RM, 89 in the Army and 60 in the RAF, though historically many fewer than these numbers are actually awarded.

Army

Citations recommending soldiers may be sumitted by Commanding Officers no later than 1st April and 1st October each year. Cases are then considered by the Army Medal Board.

Full details are laid out in the QRs Paras 5.392 and 10.006 - 10.007. Additional information was recently published in DIN 2006DIN10-006

RN

Citations recommending candidates may be sumitted by Commanding Officers no later than 1st April and 1st October each year. Cases are then considered by the Naval Secretary.

Full details are laid out in BR 8748.

RAF

The RAF is currently in the process of reviewing their MSM procedure, with a move to a citation-led process the most likely outcome. A DIN will be published shortly with the results of the review

Just for info boys and girls.