Ls&gc for vehicles

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by oscar1whisky, Sep 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of my last duties before redundancy was to backload the last of my unit's Knockers: the Mark 1 AEC Militant, that started life in the early 1950's and finally got demobbed in 1990.

Cold, noisy, uncomfortable, but you could fix any fault with a lump hammer (almost), and he thing, once bump started would run, albeit slowly, forever.

I commend it for the Old & Bold LSGC medal.

Any other contenders?

2. Yes the Bedford RL. No need for heaters on those cold & freezing German nights, just lift the engine cover and the cherry red exhaust manifold soon warmed the cab up!

3. I know where about 20 of your knockers ended up, we were deployed to rwanda in 94 and some hairy hippy tipped up and asked if we could fix these "old trucks" they had bought! que old and bold Vm's going all misty eyed and nostalgic before fixing all of them!!

4. Warming the tin of compo no doubt,I still rate the RL as one of the best x-country vehicles ever.

5. I often meet up with 2 lots of local Military Vehicle Trusts and one of the guys recently told me of one of their members buying an RL with 20-odd miles on the clock. Obviously, if this wagon goes in a show it gets first prize in its class because its in pristine condition.

A friend recently bought a Green Goddess for £250...whilst I'm on the subject does anyone know where I can buy a 432 for under £1000??

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Doubt you'll get a runner for that

My mate bought an immaculate MK and when he opened up the back he found a load of motorbikes and spares still in crates
    When he questioned it he was told it was part of the lot

I saw an MJ last friday at Grantham
    They must be 30 years old by now
    Soldier on old friend

7. Not a chap called Chris by any chance?

8. Still some refurbed MJ's at witham's and they are only baby's I've shoes older than them.

9. I remember being told that story and always thought it was an urban myth!

10. are you sure 1990 was when they were demobbed as i remember going into 166 supply regts hanger at Grantham about 2004 and they still had a couple of knockers then

11. yeah I had heard it too.

12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Nope this one was a gen story promise
    He's got a picture somewhere I'll see if he can find it
    Quite comen apparently

There was a thread a while back about a bloke who bought scrap Landrovers of he MoD
    Then made a fortune selling the parts back to the MoD as spares

13. Thanks for that TBS :) I shall carry on regaling my friends with this story without fear of being accused of sexing it up :)

14. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Mod sales "Withams" were selling 432s last week for three thousand quid, but they looked a bit worn

15. They can't have looked much more worn than the ones we had when I was last at a Mech Bde in 2003/04...

You can't beat working on vehicles that came out of the factory a decade or more before you were born.