Lower than average wages for Ex-forces?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by zero-over, Mar 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How come all the jobs that have been posted on here lately have been offering wages below the industry average?

Do people think that ex-forces types are desperate for work and are they trying to take advantage? Every time someone comments that the wages offered are low, the poster responds with "Maybe some ex-squaddie down on his luck..." and tries to act like they're doing some sort of favour.

Am I being extremely cynical by assuming that they're deliberately pitching low pay scales at ex-squaddies?

2. Maybe it reflects the below average skills and performance your average ex squaddie has to offer to civi street.

3. Tory govt and unemployment rises, people are made redundant and rates get lowered.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sorry, my anti-bite device is activated.

5. Just took a job for £26K, thought i would be looking at £35k upwards, but most are offering £25-30. The higher paid, £40k upwards, are asking for experience i don't have, i meet 85% of what they want but there is always budget or finance control/experience thrown in, i don't hand on heart control budgets or finance, though i do touch on it,so i thought i would take this job and get some experience in the civvy work place then move up........................hopefully. I know i can do the job, but to be honest i have took this job as it suits at the moment. It does have scope for promotion so fingers crossed.

The job i have got is similar to what i do now, working for a company that works with the military, within easy off road cycling range of my house, free gym etc so has some perks and only a 4.5 day week.

I believe they also support you joining the TA i will now look into that as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. To be fair, £26k is the national average... I saw a job on here offering £14k the other day for a management position.

Takes the mickey slightly....

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

It's true that many employers will take 'advantage' of the fact that many ex-BIll Oddies are cushioned by a pension, but that's natural and to be expected*. Any employer will pay the least he has to - getting a better deal is usually up to you :) Go and sell yourself and your skills, get trained up as required, and gain progress and more money.

*And please, no whining about "But they shouldn't be allowed to count Service pensions" - it's just a pension.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Agreed, i looked into the local average, weighed up the benfits, not least my boss is ex army and we got on straight away. Add my pension and it is all good.

I think we get carried away with the success stories and all expect the same. I have colleagues who are doing really well, area managers etc, but they didn't start off there....................and for some of th ehours and stress thay work under not sure the money is worth it.

Main issue with me is i have worked since i left school, i have had 2 weeks unemployment prior to my turning up for basic training, so i was just glad to have a job to walk into straight off.

9. Good point, I recently got a pay raise through nothing more than pure cheek. If people are daft enough to accept getting paid less than their industry peers - and probably less than their non-ex-service colleagues in the same role as them - then they're not using their brains.

10. It really depends what the management position is. Some 'management' positions are little more than supervisory roles and are paid as such and are, as you would expect, at the lower end of the pay scale. Others aren't managerial jobs at all. For instance some sales positions are called 'territory managers' although all they are are one salesman covering an area, hardly a managerial post but still called one.

If all you can get is a relatively low paid job then my advice is to take it and either seek to advance yourself within the company or make yourself attractive to the opposition. When I was employed I routinely requested a pay rise after 9 months after the third tri-monthly sales figures were in. Once they could see you could do the job and had figures that would make you attractive to rivals then they bumped your money up to keep you keen. When you have a job it's far easier to get another one and employers will pay more to the right person with the right track record.

• Like Like x 1
  11. its a UK wide situation, about 18 months ago saw an IT job that was a lot closer to home so better for me and it was £28-32k with overtine etc etc. I didn't have all the quals they needed, job was advertised again about 2 weeks ago £17-20k. A friend of mine has a masters and a shedload of IT quals, was working on a 12 month renewable contract in basingstoke, first 12 months it was £54k per annum. He went in to sort out the terms for the next 12 months and they offered him £28k. In the interview they told him take it or leave it we've already had people applying, turns out they had been recruiting in east europe and india/pakistan, where people were happy to work for that amount.

12. I think that 26K isnt very accurate. People on very high pay raise the average.

On to your main point. If you were about to leave the army and haven't done your homework (as thousands of squaddies don't bother doing) then the offer of any wages is better than none.
    Someone who has used his resettlement wisely and/or put his education costs to good use while serving probably wont be needing ARRSE to find him a job.

• Like Like x 1

13. I wouldn't wholly disagree with that. How many people leave each year with nothing to offer and having done no preparation for their transition? There are plenty of cases where even those who have prepared either didn't make headway or it took them longer than they had expected.

14. Take it or leave it. Capitalism red in tooth and claw...... etc etc.

15. Good point,

I think in UK we have a snobbery about jobs that the continentals don't seem to have.

What often used to peeve me on ARRSE was the frequent derogatory use of the term 'Shelf-stackers' (Tesco usually!) often by soldiers that, had things gone differently, would likely have been doing a similar job themselves.

In the company that I worked for, I once, against all the perceived wisdom and the opposition of our personnel dept, offered one of our security guards (not an ex-serviceman) a trainee post in IT.

Mainly because although that it was obvious that security wasn't his chosen line of work, it was clear that his attitude was that, rather than give the impression that he was he was doing was below his salt, he was going to make the best of his situation. In other words it was a case of 'Security is not my choice but while I'm here, I'm going to make the best of it'. It was obvious in the enthusiatic way he carried out his tasks.

We took him on, it was a success and he's probably doing very well financially now.

On the other hand, I took an ex-soldier out of our cables department for a similar trainee position mainly because he was ex-service and I assumed he would have the right attitude (well, we do, don't we?) but he blew it, turned out that he just had the wrong work-ethic and poor inter-personal skills so eventually we let him go with a reasonable pay-off.