Lowe Alpine Saracen burgen

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by HENDO, Aug 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have one of these or know anyone who does. Iv just ordered one and want to know is it a good bit of kit ??

2. Whats wrong with the issue bergen?

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I have to say I tried to buy a Berghaus Roc/Cyclops/Crusader recently (was the bergen I had years ago before they issued the new one), but found the whole thing so frustrating I ended up bying an issue one cheaply. Haven't used it yet, but it looks almost the same as my old Berghaus Bergen, seems excellent.

4. Nothing really but i wanted something with decent back support for tabbing also to be used for hill walking etc. the issue birgen doesnt offer this

5. It is the new standard issue bergen in our army. I'm still waiting on mine to be issued :roll: but from what i've heard it's a good bergen because you can adjust the length of the backpad for instance.

6. will the issue plce side pockets fit on it? not that I use them as jet packs, but that they look bigger than the side pockets that seem to come on the saracen bergen in the shops.

also, I use a medics side pocket on one side instead of a standard plce side pocket. I think it is more versatile for orgnising & stowing kit into- also easier to find stuff.

7. yeah they will.
    It is a very good rucksack, very durable and hardwearing. Used it on ops last year i would highly recommend it.

8. So I could remove the side pockets that already come with the burgen and attach the medics one for example ??

9. I'd imagine so yes

10. The PLCE issue side pouches will fit, the lid isn't as large as the issue infantry pattern meaning stowing your daysack will be harder. Adjustable back is said to be the business, Dutch guys I met last month are chuffed to bits with it, new modular vest has been well received too. The saracen is already reaching Dutch army disposals. UK price from us when we get them is likely to be around £90.00 based on prices quoted to us. Sounds high for a used pack but these are around £200 new. OG and DPM coming through, anyone interested PM me.

11. For the record, pesants,

Its Bergan

12. harsh i know

13. Actually its a rucsac or backpack. Bergan is town in Norway :twisted:

14. It is, as with most Lowe load carrying gear... The dogs danglers.

15. I've not tried the Saracen, but I've been using a Salient for years now, and cant fault it. The only thing wrong with it after about 12-13 years use, is that the waterproofing has de-laminated from the inside. Lowe Alpine gear is really nice, if you can live without the side pockets, I'd suggest that the Salient is a better hillwalking pack as the slim design keeps your centre of gravity in close and offers better stability.