Lowe Alpine Mountain Hat - still The Daddy?

I never venture above the snowline without this little beauty.

Bad_Crow said:
Bravo_Bravo said:
Or is there a better piece of headwear?

BB
They are. Especially in the Scouse Chav Community
Absolutely right, I've had one for years but lately all the young Everton hoolies have been wearing them at the match and have earned the name 'the Lowe Alpine Ninjas' as they are the new generation of hooligans, needless to say I only wear mine on the hills these days.

The latest issue goretex ecw hat, which replaced that bloody itchy "deputy dawg" thing appears to be pretty much the same as the lowe alpine hat but of course in fetching DPM.

HF

love a kit thread thread revival

When I'm in the cold places this is part of the kit I wear on the heed. in the Hi-vis orange

Helly Hansen Workwear

Also really good for festivals

Not so good for attritional trench warfare

Absolutely right, I've had one for years but lately all the young Everton hoolies have been wearing them at the match and have earned the name 'the Lowe Alpine Ninjas' as they are the new generation of hooligans, needless to say I only wear mine on the hills these days.

It has been so for a few years alas, I also reserve mine for arenas where I cannot possibly be mistaken for pond life

My last GF bought me a new one last Xmas - she thought my previous example belonged on the head of a tramp. I said it had character.

Slightly off thread, about 20 yrs ago I remember a young scallies mum trying to buy her sprog the top of the line Berghaus jacket (back when they were begining to be the 'in' thing). The poor assistant in Blacks couldn't make headway in explaining to the hooped earing wearing harriden that these were made for going up Everest and thus not available in chidrens sizes.
Eventually I think he suggested that Ellis Brighams might have the right size in.

Bit of a zombie thread, but I'd agree that the Lowe Alpine is about the best going. I've got quite a collection of cold weather/high wind hats due to the places and activities I've enjoyed (-40oC winters in central Russia, military use, southern Antarctic ocean, Tien Shen mountains, etc), but my two Lowes really have proved unbeatable.

I have a black one that I used to use as "smart-ish" when wearing business or work clothes in Russia; the fact that it can be folded flat and stuffed in a pocket made it really handy with all the constant on/off of winter clothes when entering buildings.

My green (or "Taupe"?) I used for military and mountain use. One of things I really appreciate about the Lowe is its aerodynamic qualities. I.e. the peak/brim is small enough that it doesn't rip the hat off when you are in a 60+ knot wind, and can be clipped back if the wind gets to really silly speeds.

Long, long, ago in the mists of time I wore the green one on a military beasting course, for which I was frequently punished whenever i was spotted wearing it (I used to swap headgear before checkpoints). The weather was really appalling up in the hills on that course. Oddly enough, the Lowe later became the "ally" headgear of choice in that unit...

@History_Man, where did you find a brown version? Funnily enough, I'm in the market for another Lowe - my two precious veteran Lowes have both been pinched by my wife....

It has been so for a few years alas, I also reserve mine for arenas where I cannot possibly be mistaken for pond life

My last GF bought me a new one last Xmas - she thought my previous example belonged on the head of a tramp. I said it had character.

Slightly off thread, about 20 yrs ago I remember a young scallies mum trying to buy her sprog the top of the line Berghaus jacket (back when they were begining to be the 'in' thing). The poor assistant in Blacks couldn't make headway in explaining to the hooped earing wearing harriden that these were made for going up Everest and thus not available in chidrens sizes.
Eventually I think he suggested that Ellis Brighams might have the right size in.
:-D

I can remember one of the local chavvery coming into what was then my local about 20-some years ago. Hiking boots were becoming the fashion.

'Vose fings cost a fackin' for-chun. I wossun gonna pay-vat.'

He'd managed to find a nice pair in Burton, though, with nice metal triangles on the toe-caps to butch them up a bit.