Lowas

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by plant_life, May 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am going to invest in a new pair of Lowas but am not sure which ones to get. Are the new lightweight ones ok for exercise/tour/hill walking or are they just suitable for urban work? Any helpfull, relevant cooments welcome. Cheers in advance.

2. I would recommend avoiding the goretex lined one , from experience when they get wet they take longer than a week in the jail to dry out. There was a cadet on during the week and he started a thread on them.
    cadet wanting to buy lowas.

As for the urban work i did two weeks fish and chips at whinny hill in mid august and had no problems with them what so ever.

3. I wear Lowas all the time and have had no problems at all, not often do my boots get wet inside but when they have it dont take long to dry out.

4. I've never had a problem with the goretex with my old ones. I had the mountain ones, they are great, have worn them in temps ranging from -25 to 40. I was wondering if the lightweight ones are any good.

5. I've just bought a pair of Lowa Seekers. Fantastic pair of boots. Just breaking them in at the mo, very very light and very very comfy (although i've had to go half a size down from my usual size). Will be tabbin in them next week. I'll let you know how they go

6. Cheers for that. Could you let me know if the waterproofing is ok on them as well please, I'm off on my MLT in a couple of weeks so I want to know if they are suitable for trogging around Snowdonia.

7. Ok i'll go jump in a few puddles on my way round.

8. All I'd say about Lowas for mountain treking etc is I find the soles are slightly too hard, there's not enough grip. I've got Lowa Mountains (the combat were too high on my leg) and although I find them brilliant and have not really had problems with them being wet on the inside, I have found they have less grip on bare rock, especially wet bare rock, almost causing a few injuries on scafell and in Bavaria. Other than that they're comfy, sturdy etc. Even the insoles that come with them are surprisingly good for what they are (tried some dual shock insoles and ended up with blisters as they allowed too much movement).

Good luck