Lowa Zephyr GTX Mid TF

Lowa Zephyr GTX Mid TF - WIN A PAIR!

@Taffwob

I am astonished at your modesty to be honest.
Saying you delivered a baby like it ain't no thang, leaving out the fact it was a Caesarian. With only a spork as a scalpel.
Well Iuckily I can tell all, you're a Bally hero and I salute you.

No. I stopped wearing what were clearly incorrectly sized Lowas and let them grow back. Never had any issues since.

Yeah, hence why I kept losing my toenail. That problem however seems to have fixed itself somewhat, as these Zephyrs were fine in a 10.
That's good to hear. If it was some fly by night cheap firm, I could kind of forgive them for getting the UK sizing wrong, but I always found it odd that Lowa were placing themselves and their product in the top quartile for quality boots but seemed (at least in my opinion) to be getting the sizing wrong.

The other interesting tell is that years ago a good percentage of guys I knew wore Lowa's, however Haix and Saloman seem to have overtaken them in the market of late.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That's good to hear. If it was some fly by night cheap firm, I could kind of forgive them for getting the UK sizing wrong, but I always found it odd that Lowa were placing themselves and their product in the top quartile for quality boots but seemed (at least in my opinion) to be getting the sizing wrong.

The other interesting tell is that years ago a good percentage of guys I knew wore Lowa's, however Haix and Saloman seem to have overtaken them in the market of late.
I suspect in part it's to do with the fact that Lowa became an issue boot in a variety of different situations. As soon as something is issue, it loses its street cred in the eyes of many young sprogs and it couldn't possibly be any good.

Pretty sure if you sold BCH and gave it the right marketing angle, the stupid bugger's would be paying £170 a pair for the prestige and allyness. :D

I suspect in part it's to do with the fact that Lowa became an issue boot in a variety of different situations. As soon as something is issue, it loses its street cred in the eyes of many young sprogs and it couldn't possibly be any good.

Pretty sure if you sold BCH and gave it the right marketing angle, the stupid bugger's would be paying £170 a pair for the prestige and allyness. :D

I loved my BCH, wore them until they fell to bits, the sole eventually crumbled

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Got issued a set of BCH in 1989, they were really good, comfortable boots (for me) and I only ditched them when the soles fell apart after... must have been more twenty years? They got me through BRNC Dartmouth in 2010 (having been issued 'assault boots' in 2003 and 2009, both sets were utter kak as far as my feet were concerned)

Doesn't mean they were great boots, just that for some people they worked well... these days, the rare occasions I need any sort of "combat boot" I've got a pair of 5.11 zip-sided boots that are very comfortable and practical for the "wearing MTP or AWD at a desk" role.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I remember this one time, In the 'nam, i kept my boots on while I got a pair

Attachments

I think I should have these boots for free as I`ve recently been quite ill and need to start training again , plus I`m not too proud to accept charity , pm me for the address to deliver to.

How long do we have to keep this thread alive before someone 'walks off' with the goodies?

I'm desperately in need of a new pair of desert wellies to go with my stonewashed jeans and unit t-shirt, so I can Walt it up in style.

I can afford a decent pair, and my present cheapo pair are letting in water and the sole is very thin, the stones hurt me delicate little feet.

DSC02725.JPG

I can't carry on being an wash up alcoholic, has been cold war steely eyed dealer of death in cheapo dessies, oh the horror!! I cried when I had to throw away my 2005 issued meindle desert fox boots, after they fell to bits.

Boot dit: Whilst at depot we were made to do hours of team building shoit in a river and then do a tab, apparently to break in our shiny new boots BCH. It worked but feck me the blisters were epic!

At the ripe old age of 53, I completed the Lanyard Trophy last Sat 13 April. In Altbergs. My pinnacle of bad luck with boots. If you are faint of heart, read no further, for this is indeed a sorry tale that will affect even the hardest heart.

As a young Regular recruit, I was issued DMS (and puttees - walts don't know about puttees, hence never mention them, nor do they mention cutting the tape down to save vital seconds on quick change parades in Basic. So if anyone ever talks about their "hell" with DMS, and does not mention puttees, well, put them in the same category as those who claim they were second in at The Embassy). DMS, a foul abomination of compressed cardboard that was useless for anything other than bulling. And one pair I did indeed bull, weekly, whilst wearing a single other pair for 4 years. In barracks or on exercise, just the one pair, dry or wet.

In 1987 I was inflicted with Combat Highs. For barracks wear not so bad, for exercise.... Lord, what did I do to offend thee? And as for tabbing? Blisters were my feets' constant companion. As were sore ankles. You couldn't even bull them, just "highly polish" them. Aye, Right. As if that ever convinced anyone on an inspection in No2's.
I still have nightmares.

I came close to Nirvana once. Just once. The then legendary Danner boots issued to 'Them' - or available to aspiring Selection candidates on the first evening. "Danner boots, mate. Get you round Selection no probs. No need to break them in, they dont need it. Only £115 to you mate" was the Daleyesque-spiel of the old hands to the hopefuls. I didn't bother - had been training in BCH, if I passed I'd get issued Danners, and no matter how great, Danners have neither a "turbo" button nor come with "determination in bagfulls". Neither did I have £115 in cash, which was probably more pertinent. I was never issued Danner boot.... because I never passed Selection. Fell, caught my foot on a rock, fractured and dislocated my ankle. Had I been wearing a boot that wasn't made of cardboard, I'd simply have had a bruise.

In 1995, some muppet issued us with Matterhorns for Bosnia. Or rather, whilst in Bosnia. At the tail end of tour. On top of Mt Igman, in -20deg weather, they might have been useful had the MOD issued them at the start of the tour. They may even have had utility had the SQMS issued them whilst we were at the top of Igman. No, he waited until we came to him in warm, dry Ploce. They were probably great for standing about stagging on, I don't know. But they were awful for tabbing. Awful? Absolutely f-c-u-k'ing horrendous. As bad as BCH, and DMS before them, I had never failed a CFT. I came too darn close wearing Matts.

In the weeks before I left in the warm summer of 1996. I was issued with Assault Boots. Perhaps these were the mythical Nirvana of boots for the rest of us, footwear for the regular green Army. I don't know, I was in civvys most of the time so I never wore them, until 2007/8 when I found them in the attic... and the soles had disintegrated :(

So I did Lanyard in Altbergs. "Altbergs? Not a bad boot buddy" you say. "Aye," I agree. "But they don't have a width option". The issued boots are very slightly too narrow in the toe. If I go up a half size, the boot is too big, but not quite big enough to accommodate wearing two pairs of socks, or an insole. So even with taping the toes, I suffer from compression, and impact blisters; one small toenail is hanging loose.

Can I exchange them for something decent, like Pilgrims? Can I feck. "Out of stock, bud" is the reply. "Out of stock? Odd that, as all the desk-bound Officers and SNCO's are cutting about in them" I don't state, as I'm just a buckfcuk scallie who tabs and runs but isn't qualified to drive a desk. In Pilgrims.

"Help me, Mr Bane, you are my only hope." as Leia didn't quite say in 1977 - although I'm sure she fluffed that line. Of breaking this 36year streak of bad luck with boots.

On the other hand.. I'm just a ex-Sapper buckshee Scallie STAB. Life is hard. Then you die. Whoever wins them.. enjoy. I'll well used to hiding envy.

And bodies.

Last edited:
At the ripe old age of 53, I completed the Lanyard Trophy last Sat 13 April. In Altbergs. My pinnacle of bad luck with boots. If you are faint of heart, read no further, for this is indeed a sorry tale that will affect even the hardest heart.

As a young Regular recruit, I was issued DMS (and puttees - walts don't know about puttees, hence never mention them, nor do they mention cutting the tape down to save vital seconds on quick change parades in Basic. So if anyone ever talks about their "hell" with DMS, and does not mention puttees, well, put them in the same category as those who claim they were second in at The Embassy). DMS, a foul abomination of compressed cardboard that was useless for anything other than bulling. And one pair I did indeed bull, weekly, whilst wearing a single other pair for 4 years. In barracks or on exercise, just the one pair, dry or wet.

In 1987 I was inflicted with Combat Highs. For barracks wear not so bad, for exercise.... Lord, what did I do to offend thee? And as for tabbing? Blisters were my feets' constant companion. As were sore ankles. You couldn't even bull them, just "highly polish" them. Aye, Right. As if that ever convinced anyone on an inspection in No2's.
I still have nightmares.

I came close to Nirvana once. Just once. The then legendary Danner boots issued to 'Them' - or available to aspiring Selection candidates on the first evening. "Danner boots, mate. Get you round Selection no probs. No need to break them in, they dont need it. Only £115 to you mate" was the Daleyesque-spiel of the old hands to the hopefuls. I didn't bother - had been training in BCH, if I passed I'd get issued Danners, and no matter how great, Danners have neither a "turbo" button nor come with "determination in bagfulls". Neither did I have £115 in cash, which was probably more pertinent. I was never issued Danner boot.... because I never passed Selection. Fell, caught my foot on a rock, fractured and dislocated my ankle. Had I been wearing a boot that wasn't made of cardboard, I'd simply have had a bruise.

In 1995, some muppet issued us with Matterhorns for Bosnia. Or rather, whilst in Bosnia. At the tail end of tour. On top of Mt Igman, in -20deg weather, they might have been useful had the MOD issued them at the start of the tour. They may even have had utility had the SQMS issued them whilst we were at the top of Igman. No, he waited until we came to him in warm, dry Ploce. They were probably great for standing about stagging on, I don't know. But they were awful for tabbing. Awful? Absolutely f-c-u-k'ing horrendous. As bad as BCH, and DMS before them, I had never failed a CFT. I came too darn close wearing Matts.

In the weeks before I left in the warm summer of 1996. I was issued with Assault Boots. Perhaps these were the mythical Nirvana of boots for the rest of us, footwear for the regular green Army. I don't know, I was in civvys most of the time so I never wore them, until 2007/8 when I found them in the attic... and the soles had disintegrated :(

So I did Lanyard in Altbergs. "Altbergs? Not a bad boot buddy" you say. "Aye," I agree. "But they don't have a width option". The issued boots are very slightly too narrow in the toe. If I go up a half size, the boot is too big, but not quite big enough to accommodate wearing two pairs of socks, or an insole. So even with taping the toes, I suffer from compression, and impact blisters; one small toenail is hanging loose.

Can I exchange them for something decent, like Pilgrims? Can I feck. "Out of stock, bud" is the reply. "Out of stock? Odd that, as all the desk-bound Officers and SNCO's are cutting about in them" I don't state, as I'm just a buckfcuk scallie who tabs and runs but isn't qualified to drive a desk. In Pilgrims.

"Help me, Mr Bane, you are my only hope." As Leia didn't quite say in 1977 - although I'm sure she fluffed that line. Of breaking this 36year streak of bad luck with boots.

On the other hand.. I'm just a ex-Sapper buckshee Scallie STAB. Life is hard. Then you die. Whoever wins them.. enjoy. I'll well used to hiding envy.

And bodies.
Now that was a proper dit.