Lowa Recce GTX Review

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Mav, Jul 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Seeing as so many people have so many questions about boots, I thought I would share some thoughts on my recently acquired Lowa Recce GTX boots, particularly as they've now seen some light abuse:

Here's the specs from the Lowa site:

Construction: board lasted upper - cemented sole
    Upper: full grain leather, 2.2 - 2.4 mm + Cordura®
    Lacing: closed hooks
    Lining: GORE-TEX® Duracom
    Sole: Vibram® "MVS"
    Upper height inside/outside: 195/230
    Usage: moderate terrain (mid-weight military boot)
    Weight: 1680 g/pair

They're a high, rather than mid length, boot and with a mix of cordura and marginally thinner leather, they're a little lighter than the Lowa Combat Boot GTX. They're still surprisingly substantial that feel very supportive, much more so than other leather/cordura boots I've tried on. Even with this supportive fit, they required no breaking in and were comfortable with one pair of mid-weight socks rather than my usual thin and thick sock combo I go for.

They also have some well thought out details such as the asymmetric tongue design:

A cleat in the mid eye, which secures the laces at the top of the foot, helping with lacing and getting the tension right:

Full GTX liner:

And even after some abuse, the still come up pretty shiny:

I haven't carried much weight with them yet (no more than 50lbs) or serious running in them yet, but so far I have to say these boots are really rather good. Comfy, supportive, light, waterproof and not too hot.

Highly recommended
  2. 1.6 kg for a pair of boots is light is it? Bloody hell!
  3. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Lighter than the combats at 1.8...