lowa boots & crampons

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by waffen, Mar 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if you can fit crampons to lowa mountain boots, and if so what compatibility of crampon

2. This may help

Crampons

3. If only this were the NAAFI Bar.....................................

4. I'm pretty sure that both the mountain boot and the combat boot are both incompatible with crampons. I've never seen a crampon rating with either boot - have a look at lowaboots.com Other boots made by Lowa certainly are compatible, but i believe that their military range are not. Hope this helps.

5. From their military versions, you can strap crampons on the Combat, Mountain, Mega Camp, Super Camp and Tibet.

Their Civetta GTX Extreme will take a clip-on (the others will not take a clip-on)

Take your boots to the shop when you buy the crampons.

6. Thanks for the info GR.

7. I've used Lowa Mountain boots in the Alps with fully flexible (strap on) crampons. They weren't as good as the better crampons you can get, but they were OK for a few walks on the Glaciers.

Sit back and wait for the "strap-on" jokes.

8. Although quite stiff, the Combat/Patrol boots do flex to a degree and so should not be worn with rigid crampons - the constant flexing would eventually cause the crampon/bar to snap.

As you say, you can get away with wearing flexible strap-ons, especially for limited periods.

The Cibetta is fully stiffened (plastic) and so can be used with rigid (clip-on) or flexible (strap-on) crampons.

The stiffer the boots (end-to-end and side-to-side), the comfier they will be when used with crampons (but much less comfy in normal use).

Important to take them to the shop with you when you buy the crampons to ensure compatibility, the link posted by Trevelez is the industry standard.

I could say why bother with a flexible strap-on when you've got a full stiffy, but wouldn't that be just too predictable ... ?!