Low pitch or no pitch roof

Discussion in 'DIY' started by BONNACON, Feb 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The saga of my house extension runs on!
    We are looking at a 40m2 roof with a fairly low pitch, roughly 12 degrees maybe up to 14 at a pinch.
    Any one suggest a solution. I quite fancy a metal roof as per industrial units barns etc. Mainly as slates at that angle may pose problems and I rather fancy the idea. No problems with planning we are not overlooked and it would be in keeping with the roof of the sheds and other bits and bobs around the house. It would have to pass building control though.
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

marine play and stick on lino slate effect tiles? still cheap and practical.
  3. what about zinc?
  4. You could try concrete roof tiles.
    If I remeber correctly the Marley Bold Roll tile goes down to a 12º roof pitch.

Or try metal tiles, Decra make metal tiles approximately the length of 3-4 normal concrete tiles, and they have a rough colour coated finish to look like normal tiles. I'm pretty sure they go to a low pitch as well.

Any good roofing merchant should be able to advise you such as Asphaltic Roofing Supplies, or try Google for a local merchant.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Just put a 20m2 extension on the back of our house, extends out the back by about 4m. This gave us about 15deg pitch, there were a number of tiles that workd well for that. We had to look lower though as the architect originally thought it mught be under 15. There is one tile Centurion Forticrete which will go down to 10Deg with the caveate of speak to them first.

I have to say the tiles look very good at this angle.

Personally I'd go tiles over flatroof anyday.

• Like Like x 1
  6. phil245

phil245 LE Book Reviewer

what direction does the wind and rain come from as on low pitch roofs the wind and rain can get under the roof covering and either lift the covering off or rain to penetrate. if you are not over looked, Why does the pitch angle have to be so low, if you raised the pitch to about 20 degrees, the weather won't affect the covering. As Miner says check with your local roofing supplier.
  7. Whatever product you use, remember to cover the entire area with a proper and seamless (seams overlapped at least 4 inches) ice and watershield membrane. Good luck with your reno.
  8. Check out "Nordman profiled sheeting". Its sheet metal roofing panels with a tile effect, or you could as others have suggested get a concrete tile specifically designed for extremely low pitch, most large tile manufacturers will carry one.
  9. I'd go single ply - Sarna or something similar. if you want to give the effect of a standing seam metal roof get your roofer to heat gun some angled trims onto it. - He'll know what you're talking about if he's any good.
  10. Some stuff to chew on here. Looking at the Nordman stuff and had a look at a similar system to sarna flat roof system which was appealing as I could shoot my clays off it without leaving the house! Only problem was being quoted £60 psqm2 without the insulation they would specify for bonding.
    Can't go any higher on the pitch as the house is a one and a half story and going any higher would go into the exsisting roof causing more expense.
    I'm in the back of beyond and roofers seem to do one pitch and one type of tile. Anything else is the devils work.
    Going to get some lads who build barns to quote me and see what they come up with.
    Concrete tiles would be fine but in "me head" that says weight and that means beefing up elsewhere.
    Also trying to find the builders of a house about 20 miles away that has a "wriggly tin" roof to see how they faired with building control. We have a building nearby with a wriggy tin roof that has been on for 50 years and still looks good.
    The house has some fairly old slates on it and somehow putting more modern slates next to them would grate more than the solutions I'm looking at.
    thanks for the suggestions. Enthusiasm is waining a bit after talking to some architects and builders. Lots of promises of 110% !
  11. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Where abouts are you? might be easier to talk about building regs if I knew that....just finished our build so got the technical bits in my head still if you need some ideas.

12. Ok coming out of left field you live in a rural area where roofing contractors are use to " wiggly tin" industrial roofing ( technical description) so why not try a alumsac green roof ?( aka grass roof) They are sustainable , give good insulation , support biodiversity , give drainage attenuation and look pretty good .

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  13. It's all down to personal choice and funding. Presuming that you currently don't have anything other than the walls, you may want to consider composite panel insulated sheets. Their main advantage is speed and ease - the insulation gives them rigidity. Just make sure that the screws aren't on the piss and the filler blocks are well secured.

An example, lots of others are available: roofing cladding sheeting in pre-coated galvanised steel
  14. Building regs are a bit grey in my part of the world S_R I will pm you on that one.
    Great Idea Bugout. If I can afford it it would complement the existing roof which mosses over at an alarming rate.
    Putties that is the stuff I fancy for several reasons. As I said I have a restriction on the angle of pitch and I think it could be sympathetic to the surroundings and I like the engineering in it. I actually don't have anything done on the extension yet and am open to suggestions except wood construction which seems overpriced for the materials and effort involved. All it is is a 4mx10m space to include a new kitchen and bathroom plus a "summer room. We are in a wet and windy place and the existing house is getting a refurb as well including exterior kingspan cladding then rendering.
    Fancy doing something different though lighter, easier construction and less hassle if I can. For the size of the project and it's remote location I have permitted development so a lenghty planning permission process is not a problem. Going through building regs though.
    Like the idea of lead bays Million but my family would nick it every time they came round.
    As for longevity so long as it out lasts me fine. The house won't be sold it's for keeps. Just need something low maintenance for our old age.
  15. I take it the CE/Architect has already informed, but obviously bear in mind that the lower a roof pitch is, the greater the timber dimensions. You re looking at 4-5 kg for a good concrete tile with 8-10 per m², 40 m²= 1280-2000kg tiling alone. Dependendant on your location (bearing in mind the bad winters we are having of late) the Snow-load must also be considered as a temporary live floor-load.

Generally try and steer clear of flat roofs, (unless they are EPDM or treble welded Bitumen), often not properly installed which causes shrinkage/cracking/leaking.

Tiles at 12 Deg are ok nowadays, just make sure the membrane is perfectly installed to avoid capillary water. If its a high-wind area, I would personally screw-fix the tiles every 3 or so.

Edit: And dont touch tin for domestic dwellings!
    • Like Like x 1