Low Flying BUFF

Probably, although the differing roles would've distorted stats if anything in favour of the Lightning.

Regards,
MM

Similar loss rate I believe.
Not sure,but would have thought the 104 would have won hands down on the loss ratio. Having said that the Lightning must have been some beast to strap on after training in the Provost. Almost inevitable there would have been losses.

Not sure,but would have thought the 104 would have won hands down on the loss ratio. Having said that the Lightning must have been some beast to strap on after training in the Provost. Almost inevitable there would have been losses.
Lightning loss rates were pretty terrible, even by the standards of the day. It was a prototype rushed into service to be the last manned aircraft the RAF ever had. However, for reasons never adequately explained it hung around well after its sell by date hoovering up maintenance manhours and delivering little effect.

But my God did it look and sound good.

Lightning loss rates were pretty terrible, even by the standards of the day. It was a prototype rushed into service to be the last manned aircraft the RAF ever had. However, for reasons never adequately explained it hung around well after its sell by date hoovering up maintenance manhours and delivering little effect.

But my God did it look and sound good.
And fast,,:)

Probably, although the differing roles would've distorted stats if anything in favour of the Lightning.

Regards,
MM
We lost just over half the fleet and 37 aircrew in 25 years of service. The Sabre was in service somewhat less time, yet we lost more aircrew in it. Granted we had more Sabres than 104s, but the latter was operating in a much more demanding environment for all of it's career.

From GeeRam on pprune:
RAF Lightning loss rate probably was slightly higher than German 104 loss, the Germans lost over 250 104's out of some 700+, but it wasn't anywhere near a 50% loss rate, more like in the region of a 30-35% loss rate.
There were some 109 Lightnings lost out of 339 built.
Prone to engine fires and/or engine fire warning lights - if on approach best thing is to say goodbye.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

Regards,
MM
Stop me if I've told this before.

The Paymaster introduced me to sailing, my wife and the RAPC. He had once hurt himself and ended up in hospital next to a Lightning pilot. That latter had overcooked a scramble, left his bottom engine on the runway and popped out. Back from being checked over, "Fly this Lightning out to Crab(G)." Halfway across the North Sea, into a thunderstorm, engines blow out, popped out again.

This when the Paymaster met him, in traction for the damage popping out twice had done to his spine.

I'd told it before? Sorry, just don't read it then.

Last edited:
^We had one pilot known as "Crash Cranston", who had 4 ejections to his "credit". 1 from a F-5 and 3 from 104s. He used to get really upset when you mentioned that he only needed one more to be a Russian Ace. All were blamed on the ground crew.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
^We had one pilot known as "Crash Cranston", who had 4 ejections to his "credit". 1 from a F-5 and 3 from 104s. He used to get really upset when you mentioned that he only needed one more to be a Russian Ace. All were blamed on the ground crew.
I've said before, overuse of the Funny button dilutes those moments when you wish there was a higher tier of Funny button. This is one of those times I wish for a Funnier button.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I can't believe that asshole Holland. Not only did he kill his own stupid self, but his crew too - the irony being that McGeehan(sp?) wouldn't let his staff fly with the idiot, but he did.

As Tom Skerrit in Top Gun said: "The rules are there for your safety, they are inflexible and so am I."

I can't believe that asshole Holland. Not only did he kill his own stupid self, but his crew too - the irony being that McGeehan(sp?) wouldn't let his staff fly with the idiot, but he did.

As Tom Skerrit in Top Gun said: "The rules are there for your safety, they are inflexible and so am I."
Or Kenneth Moore in reach for the sky. 'Rules are there for the guidance of wise men,and the control of fools'...;)

ugly

LE
We had to attend a safety behaviours course and they showed in the first five minutes a USN helicopter stuffing in. The course facilitator (oh yes it was touchy feely) asked why we felt he had crashed (after the usual women driver jokes) I stated its because most pilots are glory seeking cnuts who think they are above mere mortals and cant make mistakes!
He was shocked at my attitude, I replied with "you've not met many pilots then have you?"
He left me alone after that!

We had to attend a safety behaviours course and they showed in the first five minutes a USN helicopter stuffing in. The course facilitator (oh yes it was touchy feely) asked why we felt he had crashed (after the usual women driver jokes) I stated its because most pilots are glory seeking ***** who think they are above mere mortals and cant make mistakes!
He was shocked at my attitude, I replied with "you've not met many pilots then have you?"
Was it a Crew Resource Management course? I was on one that started with that footage and question.

ugly

LE
Nope some shit where a mong who lost his arm being stupid at work explained how not to be stupid! The only 3 girls in the office left and one was off for a week!
Stupid pointless course designed by idiots for idiot managers to inflict upon staff, pseudo scientific bollocks apart from seeing a mong with no hand!

We had to attend a safety behaviours course and they showed in the first five minutes a USN helicopter stuffing in. The course facilitator (oh yes it was touchy feely) asked why we felt he had crashed (after the usual women driver jokes) I stated its because most pilots are glory seeking ***** who think they are above mere mortals and cant make mistakes!
One of my OCs, whilst in HK. Told the sqn he wanted the pilots to fly with more Panache, A few weeks later I was tasked with marshaling his arrival on Ping Chow Island. The HLS was the basketball court. He approached far to fast and at one point was no more than 3 ft from one of the nets. That's the nose cone of the Scout rotor disk over the top. I had fucked off in a hurry buy this time as that was where I was marshaling from. Pure luck he never stuffed it in.

Latest Threads