Low Flying BUFF

Great video, but it isn't clear that the Belgian did it from a standing start to a halt. Not saying he didnt, just wondering whether the F104's shape allowed it to generate enough lift quickly enough. I suppose with an engine like that ...

I might be wrong (I very frequently am) but I thought early Thuds had down-firing seats too. Shrug.
I wouldn't even fancy flying straight and level in a 104, never mind that.:)

Great video, but it isn't clear that the Belgian did it from a standing start to a halt. Not saying he didnt, just wondering whether the F104's shape allowed it to generate enough lift quickly enough. I suppose with an engine like that ...
Anecdotally it was the end to a display routine, so a touch at the piano keys, rotate, roll, land and drogue.

I might be wrong (I very frequently am) but I thought early Thuds had down-firing seats too. Shrug.
As far as I know the Belgian did it from a flying start, and did not stop, but don't know for sure. Given a long enough runway, like say the one at Namao north of Edmonton, I expect it would have been doable in a 104.

Re. downward firing seats, I think that the F-104A and B models were the only fighters equipped with them. Our version of the Starfighter was always equipped with the C2 upward firing seat, the hatch on the lower fuselage was retained however, and the seats were installed and removed through it, which was a good thing as the seat was a heavy bastard. Pulling it up the rails and over the side which we did every 4th periodic inspection to simulate an ejection was no fun whatever.

50ft AGL at just under the mach in a 104? Darwinism Flash,pure Darwinism...:) (Though admittedly,probably good fun)
I'd do it again in a second, sadly unless I win big in the lottery that won't happen. But I am one of the fortunate few who had the chance to rack up a good few hours in fast jets, and was paid while doing it...

Then you missed out on one of the great joys of life, 50 ft AGL at just under the mach, that was the most fun possible with your clothes on.
RCAF?

I'm pretty sure the RAF didn't operate the 104.

Mostly somewhere in the bowels of the beast, being groundcrew. All my flights were in the rear cockpit, but I did get some sticktime in on the 104, and the T-33.
Got a couple of flips in the backseat of the F4. Magic. Was one of those princes among men who picked Lt Cdr Wranceed Preen out of the oggin when he got it wrong.:)

A Pilot that got it wrong? Bet he never admitted it.
Great line in a one man monologue (what other kind :) ) I went to a few years ago, about Tom Crean,who was a PO,RN, with Shackleton on his Antarctic adventures. 'That young officer said something.And to tell the truth I only heard it once in 25 years of service'. 'I made a mistake'...;)

The F-104 would've made an ideal RAF intermediate trainer for the Lightning! :)

Regards,
MM

Latest Threads