Low Flying BUFF

Was once told a story about a RAF pilot who did similler in the far east
He was flying a Shakleton and they used to drop mail for the aircraft carriers
Bit of a boring job so he decided to liven it up
Dropped the mail and circled and came back lined up with the carrier
Dropped his landing gear and adjusted his flaps
PulLed up at the last minute and flew by level with the deck
Looked out of his window and waved just intinme to see the crew clearing the deck for him by chucking planes overboard.
Long flight home apperently and no promotion for 20 years
Proboably a good urban myth but not bad all the same

B-52 Crash at Fairchild Air Force Base - YouTube

Pirates of the Mediterranean - a Buccaneer special - YouTube
There used to be a clip on YouTube of a Buccaneer doing an insanely low level flight down a runway "somewhere in Bahrain." By "insanely low" I mean lower than the Lightning pic I posted.
Unfortunately it appears to have been removed.

C

cloudbuster

There used to be a clip on YouTube of a Buccaneer doing an insanely low level flight down a runway "somewhere in Bahrain." By "insanely low" I mean lower than the Lightning pic I posted.
Unfortunately it appears to have been removed.
Might be part of "The Boys From Bahrain" which sometimes crops-up on PPRuNe.

SUU23

LE
Sure its not the Omani flying Circus Jaguars.
[video=youtube;4wXeKV7dLeQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wXeKV7dLeQ[/video]

Might be part of "The Boys From Bahrain" which sometimes crops-up on PPRuNe.
Nope - or at least not any more.
I'll have to have a word with one of my customers who used to drive them & see if he can help.

That's not low.

This is low:
Reminded me of a story from a RAAFie Sgt fitter who happened to be chatting away and said when in the 70's a Lightening Sqn happened to be over in oz - Darwin. Those who know Darwin runway will notice that it undulates, and I mean undulates. Anyway, it seemed a that RAF procedure is to select the undercarriage Up, so that as soon as the Lightening is off the tarmac the undercarriage comes up - saves time (?). Well following said procedure and with the first undulation on the runway the undercarriage comes up. From what the Sgt was blabbing on about made for a spectacular display of low level flying.

Story sounded alright by me, may of been having a piss-take, dunno.

As all pilots are well aware, even if they don't always remember it, the record for low flying can only be equalled.

I am sure some of the Skyvans, the drops we did, Oman 1970ish went that low? Just none of the Adoo had cameras handy I suppose.
As a side issue, has anybody else noticed that you cannot get a flight Sim to fly lower than 50ft?

G

goatrutar

I'd also imagine you can't get a flight sim to smash into high rise buildings, either.

Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.
E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

A4's attacking HMS Broadsword Falklands 82
Now that's impressive - from the photographer's POV I mean. Is that a cropped still from a vid or is it Pte Syrup standing on the bridge wing with his Instamatic just prior to endex?

Friend of mine was on Broadsword!

Now that's impressive - from the photographer's POV I mean. Is that a cropped still from a vid or is it Pte Syrup standing on the bridge wing with his Instamatic just prior to endex?

Friend of mine was on Broadsword!
A matelot with an instamatic I believe...

Rodney2q

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Tell that to the crew of Czar 52.
They co pilot attempted to bang out, he didn't make it.

Crash of 'Czar 52'
I've seen that clip a few times but never the explanation behind it. Wonder why the seats didn't go as it looks (and says) that at least one hatch is blown, surely its microseconds between hatch and seat firing mechanisms initiating? Very sad story.

Latest Threads