Low Flying BUFF

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by JT0475, Mar 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Never seen this pic before, picked up on the daily wail website just now, allegedly during the first gulf unpleasantness.
    If gen, must have been pretty hairy on the flight deck

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE so I should probably be working....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  2. Just launched from port waist cat. Weight calculation a bit under!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Slick pilot though. Got his undercarriage up before they'd cleared the deck

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. That's not low.

This is low:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. As is this

• Like Like x 1
  6. And this - Gives the reporter a bit of a shock.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Back to the low-flying BUFF; do a brief internet search for "Czar 52" and "Lt Col Dutch Holland" if you want to see what happens when cowboys like that end up getting bitten.............

I've never been overly impressed by those who try to do the whole "Oooooh, look at me, let's see how little sky I can put between my acft and the ground" thing. The planet will always win if you fly an aircraft into it.

Tightly regulated, controlled and rehearsed display flying - big tick VG - hugely entertaining and a massive recruiting tool. Also great for developing crews' skills.

Impromptu flybys to impress girlfriends, Joe Public, or passengers - *******, mainly. Check out the CAA / RAF / USAF accident websites to see how they end up. There are dozens of examples, not many of them uplifting reading. (Like what I did there...???)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Given the psychological profile of the military pilot, the desire, and frequently the peer-pressure to demonstrate their ability is understndable. As Chas says, in the correct context it can be hugely satisfying when it goes well.

Put two pilots with a shared mistaken belief in their ability into the same airframe and it becomes a competition to see who's at the sticks when it stoofs in.

9. You want LOW.

10. "Dutch" Holland was a fictional character played by Jimmy Stewart in the film "Strategic Air Command" - "Bud" Holland was the B-52 pilot.
    The incident involving the latter could have been avoided had his superiors taken action against him when he broke flying regulations on multiple occasions prior to the crash.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Was once told a story about a RAF pilot who did similler in the far east
    He was flying a Shakleton and they used to drop mail for the aircraft carriers
    Bit of a boring job so he decided to liven it up
    Dropped the mail and circled and came back lined up with the carrier
    Dropped his landing gear and adjusted his flaps
    PulLed up at the last minute and flew by level with the deck
    Looked out of his window and waved just intinme to see the crew clearing the deck for him by chucking planes overboard.
    Long flight home apperently and no promotion for 20 years
    Proboably a good urban myth but not bad all the same

B-52 Crash at Fairchild Air Force Base - YouTube

Pirates of the Mediterranean - a Buccaneer special - YouTube

• Like Like x 4
  12. This the one.

13. You are indeed correct; my gin-addled memory lets me down again. In my defence, it's been 13 years since I was on the course where this was used as a case study. Loads of flying supervision / cockpit gradient / "He'll be OK, he knows what he's doing" learning points came out of it, if said memory serves me correctly.

Anyways, hopefully the "pushing the boundaries" muppets will eventually go the way of the "It's perfectly OK to get hammered and fly the next day" mentality that was prevalent when I joined my first flying unit in the early 90s.

Back to utter cowboys and low flying...........

Extremely low flyby with jet trainer - YouTube

14. The Buccaneer simply the best!

• Like Like x 3