Lover, commando, spy - the making of Paddy Ashdown

Paddy Pantsdown is releasing his warts-and-all memoir on April 28.

Brief excerpt here.

Sounds like a very interesting read however this bit caught my attention:-

I got my radical political opinions from the SBS. I inherited from my father a deep dislike of the class system in Britain. I hated the large part this seemed to play in the services in general and especially, at the time, in the Royal Navy. In the SBS, people were valued and trusted according to their abilities and skills, not their origins.

I once saw this at work when a grizzled and much respected veteran of the SBS sat down for breakfast with a bowl of porridge next to a Guards officer, saying a cheery “Hullo”.

Receiving no response, he said it again and then, with increasing menace, a third and fourth time. The recipient of this cheery greeting, who was wearing a hat, said in a very drawly upper-crust voice: “Don’t y’know, old man, that in the Guards the tradition is that if we don’t want to be spoken to, we wear a hat.”

To which my friend growled: “In the Royal Marines the tradition is that if we are rude at breakfast we get to wear a plate of porridge,” and tipped the lot over his head.
Now i've heard this particular anecdote before somewhere, albeit a slightly different variant where the bootie jumps on to the table and sticks his boot in the Guards officer's bowl of cornflakes after having his request to pass the milk snubbed.

Was Paddy really the first to witness it though?

Hope he's not telling porkies! :D

I thought he had already released a book a few years ago

Taz_786 said:
I once saw this at work when a grizzled and much respected veteran of the SBS sat down for breakfast with a bowl of porridge next to a Guards officer, saying a cheery “Hullo”.

Receiving no response, he said it again and then, with increasing menace, a third and fourth time. The recipient of this cheery greeting, who was wearing a hat, said in a very drawly upper-crust voice: “Don’t y’know, old man, that in the Guards the tradition is that if we don’t want to be spoken to, we wear a hat.”

To which my friend growled: “In the Royal Marines the tradition is that if we are rude at breakfast we get to wear a plate of porridge,” and tipped the lot over his head.
Now i've heard this particular anecdote before somewhere, albeit a slightly different variant where the bootie jumps on to the table and sticks his boot in the Guards officer's bowl of cornflakes after having his request to pass the milk snubbed.

Was Paddy really the first to witness it though?

Hope he's not telling porkies! :D[/quote]

IIRC the version with the boots in the cornflakes was used by Don MacNaughton in his sequal to 'They Stood In The Door' called 'They Stayed A Soldier' but he might have got the story from Lord Paddy and changed it for security reasons being to do with the SBS and all :D