Loveliest Airport in the world

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Didn't call in there myself but an old colleague of mine said he was very happy to visit Baku Heydar Aliyev airport due to an unsheduled shortening of a C-130 rotor blade by one of a pair of MiG's despite dip. clearance, squawking & strobing and following their agreed fright path....
They apparently do a great line of wool clothing but not much else.

Lynham was always a nice place to arrive at, the ramp being opened whilst taxiing gave a good view of this green and pleasant land. Even the combined RAF & HMRC 'experience' after that couldn't dampen that 'good to be home' feeling, well, a bit maybe - after the third or fourth time...
It wasn't as 'impersonal' as Brize, I still have Lynham ops phone number somewhere - they were perfectly happy to be phoned up to see how long the flight delay was going to be...
Wouldn't neccasarily be accurate but a good starting point.

Distilled

Swinger
Thoroughly enjoying the "Worst Airport in the World" thread, but don't forget there are many lovely airports around the globe.

I'm not talking about the marvellous clean efficiency of places like Changi, but other. smaller airports full of charm.

My vote goes to Rarotonga in the Cook Islands. Clean, cool, with mostly fans and grass roofs. Good food, not too expensive. Very safe. And with the most gorgeous view out towards the tarmac.

View attachment 495468
Traverse City, in Michigan, aka Cherry Capital Airport. If Toytown had an airport it would be just like this one; it is limited in dining options but you can get a coffee.

airport_night_with_airplane_c1155f2c-de62-4863-a5ea-be88757df424.jpg

IMG_8904.JPG
IMG_8906.JPG

Last edited:
Inverness. Easy to get in & out of and nice staff.

On having to go in and park for an extended period of time waiting to pick someone up, I got stopped at the barrier on the way out. I pressed the tannoy and explained the situation to the (rather lovely) voice at the other end. "Oh, don't worry about that, it's a quiet day anyway", and let out without payment, God bless her.

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
Not sure about loveliest but I always find Amsterdam Schipol easy to get around and very passenger friendly unlike Frankfurt.

If you’re in the south, why on earth would you go to Gatwick if flights are available from these two?
Because typically the price difference for two tickets between Bournemouth and Gatwick will pay, mileage, parking, a depart and return stay at the holiday inn and a steak dinner......

Not sure about loveliest but I always find Amsterdam Schipol easy to get around and very passenger friendly unlike Frankfurt.
They used to hate Easy Jet though... make you check in at the far RHS of the terminal block but fly from the bus served gates at the far LHS... I wasn't paying, so got the client to book with KLM/Air-UK from Stansted...

This was before Ryan Air turned up at Stansted... You could park in short stay in front of the terminal for £24 Monday to Friday. I could land in from Amsterdam, get my luggage clear customs and be driving through the barrier in 20 to 30 minutes...

Dusseldorf, quiet, efficient and serve baked Pike in the cafe.
Bremen nearly in city centre, but EasyJet are funnelled off through a garden shed.
CFB

Oyibo

LE
Bournemouth. One of the very few small airports that hasn’t succumbed to Small Airport Syndrome now that quite sizeable flying programmes are operating there. Ditto Exeter.

If you’re in the south, why on earth would you go to Gatwick if flights are available from these two?

Bristol just about qualifies, now even has trans Atlantic flights
Brizzle gets my vote - polite staff, uncrowded (the times I've been there), and they have an airside smoking area outside.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Roanoke VA, it'll be a real airport when it grows up. Never had a bad experience there, friendliest staff I've ever met.

Similar to Roanoke above, McGhee-Tyson airport in Knoxville. It’s about a 300 yard walk from the parking to the gate. There’s a sit-down restaurant, coffee shop, gift shop, a dozen gates and that’s yer lot.

1597149908539.jpeg

A couple of shouts from South America.

Montevideo was superb, off the plane , through e passport gates, checked luggage on the belt waiting and into a car outside within 10 mins of stepping off an international flight, a personal record.

All the little regional Chilean airports Ive been to have been pretty awesome too, new, clean and generally efficient.

jmb3296

War Hero
Kirkwall
Lovely location, clean and efficient. Handed my hire car keys as I walked into the terminal. “Just pop into the office tomorrow and we will get the paperwork sorted, when you are done leave it in the airport car park with the keys under the visor “

Sgt_Steiner

War Hero
Because typically the price difference for two tickets between Bournemouth and Gatwick will pay, mileage, parking, a depart and return stay at the holiday inn and a steak dinner......
Not necessarily. I was happily commuting to/ from Dublin/ Bournemouth every weekend for a few months for less than 40 quid return recently.

I've always like Bratislava airport, small relaxed and always uncrowded (possible exception for football matches at Trnava just down the road)
1597152585587.png