Lovat Scouts

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Dingo, Oct 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I wonder if any of the officer's may be able to help me...

I have recently come into posession of a number of items beloning to my great grandfather, an officer in the Lovat Scouts.

A number of medals, a sporran (silver fox pelt) and a cap badge (stags head)...

Does anybody know any of the history of this regement as I would be most interested in finding out about it...

Thank you.

Dingo

2. Try Queens Own Highlanders Regimental Museum at Fort George, Inverness. Google search will give you full address. They have a whole gallery devoted to Lovat Scouts.

3. Dingo, welcome

To add to Tartan_Smudger's reply, you should find quite a lot on Google. There is a regimental history in print. There is a Lovat Scouts South African War Memorial in the square at Beauly, near Inverness.

Can you say in which period your great grandfather was serving? Which medals?

4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

5. Another site to try is cabarfeidh.com this is run by an ARRSEr and has a good bit on Lovat Scouts.

6. ISTR that the ACF unit in the Orkneys is Lovat Scouts.

7. Yes, Orkney Independent Cadet Battery (RA) (Lovat Scouts) ACF. I think they now wear the Gunner type beret, not the Lovat Scouts balmoral.

8. Thanks for the info,

Is there much of a colectors market for this kind of stuff, the silver fox sporran is in especially good condition, I think I'll hang on to the medals though.

Dingo

9. Hang on to it all Dingo, its nice to have family heirlooms like that, and if you sell it now, you may regret it later.

10. Agreed it is an heirloom, why not splash out on a kilt so you can wear it!!

11. As has been said, hang on to it if you can.

There is a collector market for all of it. It is quite valuable, but you will probably never find a replacement for it.

12. OK probably will do,

However, I hear that an artic fox sporran may be quite the sought after item so might have to let it go to raise funds.

Any info on this particular item, regimental significance etc would be much appreciated.

Dingo