Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Louise Glück wins Nobel Prize for Literature - 2020

As the thread title says:

M'kay - can't say that I've ever tripped over any of her work, so I thought that I'd give some of it a go.

Now (and this is very much a personal view) never have I read so much mushroom tea-inspired vanity in all my puff.

From The Red Poppy:

. . .
What could such glory be
if not a heart? Oh my brothers and sisters,
were you like me once, long ago,
before you were human? Did you
permit yourselves
to open once, who would never
open again? Because in truth
I am speaking now
the way you do. I speak
because I am shattered.

The Graun, as might be expected is all short, panting breathed about the event: I foresee selected volumes of her work appearing prominently stacked on Zoomed bookshelves before the end of the day, never to be read, and later consigned to the attic along with the coffee table issue of A Brief History of Time.

Am I being too mean-spirited? Or is it just my colon playing up again?

Last edited:
Very good, I’ve always thought the Nobel prize for literature a big steaming pile of poo. It hardly advances the world like other noble prizes.

That said, the Nobel peace prize has turned into a steaming pile of political poo.

All in the name of a family who’s inventions caused untold death and destruction.

Was her Noble prize entry

I am a poet called Gluck
And with some good luck
I will win a prize
Or a good surprise
To anyone who wants a f....

Penrose showed us the mechanics of black holes for his nobel. Doudna invented a tool which, in time will rid humanity of genetic diseases for hers. Yet this is the choice of all literature. Really?

Very good, I’ve always thought the Nobel prize for literature a big steaming pile of poo. It hardly advances the world like other noble prizes.

That said, the Nobel peace prize has turned into a steaming pile of political poo.

All in the name of a family who’s inventions caused untold death and destruction.

I thought that how it came about?.. trying to undo some of the damage he/they caused?

I thought that how it came about?.. trying to undo some of the damage he/they caused?

Didnt stop them making explosives more effective, no worries though, there’s a poxy peace prize to make up for it.

I suppose this will be on the 9 o’clock news tonight like the two women who shared the Chemistry prize. They bigged up the story as this is the first time that women have won the prize without sharing it with men.

What could such glory be
permit yourselves
I am speaking now
the way you do. I speak
because I am shattered.

Can I nominate it for the "Well, it looks like English category"?

What could such glory be
permit yourselves
I am speaking now
the way you do. I speak
because I am shattered.

Can I nominate it for the "Well, it looks like English category"?

The Nobel Committee's reasoning behind it's decision is equally elitist and painful to the eyes:

"for her unmistakable poetic voice that with austere beauty makes individual existence universal."

Wunh?

Chef

LE
Being a bit of a philistine I tend to avoid anything recommended or short listed for any literary award. Especially if the blurb on the back tells me what a sensitive, phenomenal, insert superlative here, said author is. I may have missed a few worthy books but have saved hours and £££s on pretentious shite.

Personally I'd have nominated Terry Pratchett for the award but he's far too popular and readable'

The same goes for art, look at how the art establishment barely acknowledges Jack Vettriano and treated Lowry.

Being a bit of a philistine I tend to avoid anything recommended or short listed for any literary award. Especially if the blurb on the back tells me what a sensitive, phenomenal, insert superlative here, said author is. I may have missed a few worthy books but have saved hours and £££s on pretentious shite.

Personally I'd have nominated Terry Pratchett for the award but he's far too popular and readable'

The same goes for art, look at how the art establishment barely acknowledges Jack Vettriano and treated Lowry.

Always liked this Bods paintings Mr Grimshaw

Last edited:
Penrose showed us the mechanics of black holes for his nobel. Doudna invented a tool which, in time will rid humanity of genetic diseases for hers. Yet this is the choice of all literature. Really?

Its hardly Kipling, ( Nobel laureate 1907) which told a story, made you think, and championed the glory's of Tommy Atkins, and empire, awaiting flack from BLM, BAME and the woke mongs ...3...2...1...

Last edited:
They’ll bung up a statue of her then find out she once referred to refuse sacks as black bin bags and it‘ll all come tumbling down.

Was her Noble prize entry

I am a poet called Gluck
And with some good luck
I will win a prize
Or a good surprise
To anyone who wants a f....
There once was a lady called Gluck
Who needed a bloody good

Oh hang on, I'm in the office. I had better save this one for later

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt

M'kay - can't say that I've ever tripped over any of her work, so I thought that I'd give some of it a go.

Now (and this is very much a personal view) never have I read so much mushroom tea-inspired vanity in all my puff.

From The Red Poppy:

. . .
What could such glory be
permit yourselves
I am speaking now
the way you do. I speak
because I am shattered.

The Graun, as might be expected is all short, panting breathed about the event: I foresee selected volumes of her work appearing prominently stacked on Zoomed bookshelves before the end of the day, never to be read, and later consigned to the attic along with the coffee table issue of A Brief History of Time.

Am I being too mean-spirited? Or is it just my
To quote a friend of mine with a PhD in English no less: "She's a bit shit, to be honest."

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

From The Red Poppy:

. . .
What could such glory be
permit yourselves
I am speaking now
the way you do. I speak
because I am shattered.

Am I being too mean-spirited? Or is it just my colon playing up again?
I found it deeply deeply moving.

Latest Threads