• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Lotto tearaway is asked to turn on Christmas lights

From the Torygraph.

I can only assume that the electricity will be wired up to the handle in such a way that will cause instant electrocution!

Lotto tearaway is asked to turn on Christmas lights
By David Sapsted
(Filed: 27/08/2005)

A £9.7 million lottery winner with an extensive criminal record has been asked to turn on the Christmas lights in a market town where he is the subject of an anti-social behaviour order.

The news that Michael Carroll, 22, would turn on the lights in Swaffham after agreeing to pay the £4,000 needed to sponsor them was greeted with disbelief and outrage in the Norfolk town.

"Who will be asked to turn on the lights next - Jack the Ripper?" Charles Joyce, county councillor and a member of local crime reduction programmes, asked yesterday.

"This man is not a celebrity, he is a common criminal. Michael Carroll has caused misery to a lot of people in Swaffham. The idea that he should turn on the Christmas lights is absolutely ludicrous.

"It appals me that children of the town should be brought by their parents to see a man with a criminal record turning on the lights. Are these children meant to see Carroll as someone to look up to?"

Carroll, who moved into a Spanish-style mansion on the outskirts of the town after his win almost three years ago, was made the subject of an Asbo last month after magistrates heard that he had made his neighbours' lives a misery.

The magistrates were told that Carroll raced cars in the field at the back of his house, held all-night parties, was abusive and fired paintball guns at neighbouring property.

Allison Skeat, 38, Carroll's neighbour, said: "What is our society coming to when the town council wants a common criminal like Carroll to stand on the stage as a celebrity?

"The whole event is aimed at children. What are parents meant to say to them about Carroll?"

Since his Lotto win, Carroll has been in court for offences including driving while disqualified, handling stolen goods and a string of drugs offences. He was sent to prison for five months last year for failing to comply with a drug rehabilitation order and was most recently in court this month for possession of marijuana.

He offered to pay for the lights after a chance meeting with Swaffham's town crier, Eddie Godden. "I told Michael it was time he did something good with his money," said Mr Godden.

"My feeling about Michael is that he's finally growing up. I think he's now realising that he is not getting any respect from the people he wants respect from. He was very polite when he spoke to me."

The town council has yet to approve Carroll's participation, but the mayor, Jerome Stockdale, said he was in favour. "I'd like to go along with it but it is a tricky one. I'd like to back the chap if he is going to turn over a new leaf.

"It's a very generous donation but I feel we may need to have some form of guarantee about his behaviour."

I wonder if ARRSE should sponsor the lights?

We could send the COs along (resplendent in matching ties and socks) to bring light into the lives of the good burghers of Swaffham, and then we could all adjourn to a local hostelry, and dazzle with locals with tales of our bravery and exploits in the service of our country? :D

Clearly leading to lots of shagging of buxom wenches...

Either way - it couldn't be worse than having that total oaf doing it.

Still... it's far better than Tony Blair, Rupert Murdoch or several other undeserving cases winning the lottery. That, I could not handle. This hoodlum really is small fry when it comes to making people's lives a misery. In a genuinely civilised and switched-on world, people would direct their energy and anger at the true deserving targets, and not the scapegoats that the press throw at us - you know - the usual red herrings: Hoodies/young thugs, Muslims, Gypsies, binge drinkers.

Also please note: he paid £4,000 to sponsor the lights. And local businesses are not going to turn that down are they? Money being the language they understand best.

frenchperson said:
Still... it's far better than Tony Blair, Rupert Murdoch or several other undeserving cases winning the lottery. That, I could not handle. This hoodlum really is small fry when it comes to making people's lives a misery. In a genuinely civilised and switched-on world, people would direct their energy and anger at the true deserving targets, and not the scapegoats that the press throw at us - you know - the usual red herrings: Hoodies/young thugs, Muslims, Gypsies, binge drinkers.

Also please note: he paid £4,000 to sponsor the lights. And local businesses are not going to turn that down are they? Money being the language they understand best.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Once again your obvious hatred towards certain members of the media and govt have tainted your view on this subject. Scum like him ARE the type of people who make everyday law abiding citizens lives hell! And yet people like you choose to belittle their anti-social behaviour.

Change the record mate!

frenchperson said:
Amazingly, I think we had all noted it - hence the vituperative tone of some posts on this thread.

He's still a female reproductive part*.

*It's CA - not allowed to use rude swears.

Agent_Smith said:
frenchperson said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Once again your obvious hatred towards certain members of the media and govt have tainted your view on this subject. Scum like him ARE the type of people who make everyday law abiding citizens lives hell! And yet people like you choose to belittle their anti-social behaviour.

Change the record mate!
Hear, Hear. He is scum with little between the ears. He has even been rejected by the Chavs.

JJ

I'm all for MrPVRd's idea, lets fry the sod. Then all his assets could be sequestrated and given to more deserving causes!

I think they should take his £4000, then tell him to fcuk off! Swaffham is hardly a metropolis, surely the old bill can turn there backs for a while so the locals can march up the hill to his castle with torches lit. It is precisely people like this that are making peoples lives shit on a daily basis, to try and blame politicians or some other pc boll**ks once again allows these idiots to deny personal responsibility for their actions!

Seeing as he is an Essex lad, why doesn't he come and turn on the Colchester Xmas lights? Then we could get all the Paras to turn up and open a can of Whoop-ass on him!

Darth_Doctrinus said:
frenchperson said:
Amazingly, I think we had all noted it - hence the vituperative tone of some posts on this thread.

Reading between the lines, I'm assuming the £4,000 has something to do with helping the cause of local businesses, shops, etc. who stand to gain the most from having Xmas lights on during the festive period - cynical old me thinks it's nothing to do with seasonal good will to all men. Please direct your anger also at these local pillars of the community! Without their willingness to accept money from the man, there wouldn't be a 'problem'.

Once again, the Arrse hotheads/Daily Mail readers are up in arms and blaming this man for the all society's ills. CHANGE THE RECORD indeed!!

frenchperson said:
Darth_Doctrinus said:
frenchperson said:

Reading between the lines, I'm assuming the £4,000 has something to do with helping the cause of local businesses, shops, etc. who stand to gain the most from having Xmas lights on during the festive period - cynical old me thinks it's nothing to do with seasonal good will to all men. Please direct your anger also at these local pillars of the community! Without their willingness to accept money from the man, there wouldn't be a 'problem'.

Once again, the Arrse hotheads/Daily Mail readers are up in arms and blaming this man for the all society's ills. CHANGE THE RECORD indeed!!
I beleieve that, at the moment, it is only a suggestion. The prevailling mode is to tell him to ram his £4000 where the sun doesn't shine as he has cost the local tax-payers far more by the number of times that the police have had to go to his place and the number of times he has gone to court. The guy is an arrogant t*sser.

frenchperson said:

You'd probably call me a hothead, but I definitely don't read the Daily Mail! You do enjoy arguing with the consensus don't you frenchperson!

Carroll is scum and doesn't deserve his cash, I say take the Septic view on it, 3 strikes and he goes away for a long, long time. There's only so many packs of cigs and choccy bars you can buy with £9.7 million!

Latest Threads