Lottery millions diverted to public services

Greedy Gordon is living up to his name!

The National Lottery is becoming one of Gordon Brown's stealth taxes as a result of Government plans to take more control over the way the money is spent, it was claimed last night.

Opposition MPs and voluntary groups accused ministers of planning to divert lottery cash from good causes and charities to services normally paid for from taxation.

Mr Brown: lottery money takes pressure off public finances

The National Lottery Bill, which merges three of the bodies giving cash to good causes into a new Big Lottery Fund, will enable the Government to direct how more than £600 million a year is spent. That is half of the money raised by the lottery.

Funding for community and charity groups will come under the same umbrella as education, health and environmental projects.
rest of the story Web Page Name

Frankly I think it's better than giving it to "Gay Whales Against The Bomb"

I don't play the wretched thing precisely because it is a tax on the stupid as nicely pointed out above! It is also a tax on the poor and greedy.

I would be more likely to play it if the profits were to go into something useful and not the aforementioned whale's charity.

As for a tax on the poor and stupid; These are the people that are more likely to be claiming benefits and sponging off the state anyway so it could be viewed as a way of recouping some of our wasted millions.

primroseandblue said:
I would be more likely to play it if the profits were to go into something useful and not the aforementioned whale's charity.

As for a tax on the poor and stupid; These are the people that are more likely to be claiming benefits and sponging off the state anyway so it could be viewed as a way of recouping some of our wasted millions.
I never quite thought of it that way. I shall now actively encourage said spongers to plough more of their 'benefits' into lottery tickets, especially scratchcards. I will not be putting any of my hard-earned cash that way though.

Whilst i agree that it's for nonces and dole scroungers (huge generalisation) but does it not piss you off that the nasty fifer is using what is essentialy charity money to prop up his ailing economy.

What next?

Taxing Oxfam and the brittle bone society (ouch) in order to pay for ministerial cars??

luke

War Hero
It's better than the 200m they spent on the royal feckin opera house

luke said:
It's better than the 200m they spent on the royal feckin opera house
.....And what about the 3/4 billion that they spent on Tony's fecking Tent!

To be honest - I can't complain about some of it - I got a grant from the lottery to help set up a local rugby club, very useful. Though i had to jusmp through more hoops than someone trying to claim asylum!!!