Lots of empty seats at Olympics.

Olympic seating: Day one of the Games sees banks of empty seats at key venues | Mail Online

Apparently lots of seats weren't filled for various events... the seats are thorugh to belong to various sponsors...

Two things.

1. The 'cheap seats' are packed. Why not just fill the better seats with those in the 'cheap seats'?

2. Given one firms inadequacy at putting bums on seats, shouldn't the Forces have been stood by to put blokes in the seats to give the impression of packed stadiums?

Olympic seating: Day one of the Games sees banks of empty seats at key venues | Mail Online

Apparently lots of seats weren't filled for various events... the seats are thorugh to belong to various sponsors...

Two things.

1. The 'cheap seats' are packed. Why not just fill the better seats with those in the 'cheap seats'?

2. Given one firms inadequacy at putting bums on seats, shouldn't the Forces have been stood by to put blokes in the seats to give the impression of packed stadiums?
Just like the Chinese then?

Plus all spare capacity is guarding outside - everyone else is someplace hot!

Just get the off duty shift to sleep in the seats...

It's been reported on the Beeb, but like all negative stories, expect it to be pulled very soon.

My verdict on the first 24 hours. Lacking substance, but we're winning the artistic pish.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
What about the beach volleyball? Any seats empty over there?
One of the letters from the page quotes "Same at the beach volleyball first thing this morning - very few people
seated. Shame."

F

fozzy

One of the letters from the page quotes "Same at the beach volleyball first thing this morning - very few people
seated. Shame."

RUBBISH - I was there. Appart from the VIP seats for the officials it was packed. 15000 in that stadium on Horse Guards.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
the mail say Olympics a failure ofeter queen breaks neck during para jump. James bond to be charged .

Perhaps, next time we host the Olympics, we should put the individually-paying customers at the front and those who are accepting (or not) freebies at the back. The corporations would still be jumping the queue by guaranteeing the availability of seats and, naturally, be paying over the odds for the privilege.

Just a thought.

As regards the link in the opening post, the comments are much more entertaining than the journalism. And they show how history has been distorted. Remind me, what was the purpose of the Atlantic Convoys - to bring Russians to help defend the UK? And Dunkirk. WTF was all that about?

Dont worry, the spin doctors will come up with their excuses by 09.00 hrs Monday morning. :)

F

fozzy

Somehow I'm finding it difficult to get outraged about the theme from the Benny Hill Show being played during breaks in the women's beach volleyball: London 2012 beach volleyball is a maverick mix of Benny Hill and sport | Marina Hyde | Sport | The Observer? Besides, wasn't Benny Hill always the one being chased rather than doing the chasing?

Were there really empty seats?
Not from where I was sitting. There was an empty block reserved for the officials, but the stadium was full of punters.

My husband works for a sponsor company and we were given tickets for a variety of events, including the swimming. But we do not have an interest in swimming and the only event we shall be watching is the 1800 meters. I know it angers people, but what do you expect us to do? Turn up to a sport we do not want to see and sit there bored. Just for the sake of the way it looks on television. We have not let the tickets go completely to waste as on some days we shall be turning up for the atmosphere of the olympic park and refreshments. Its just the actual sport we do not want to see. - Mari, manchester, 29/7/2012 7:54

Read more: Olympic seating: Day one of the Games sees banks of empty seats at key venues | Mail Online

I don't know if this is a joke or not...

Maybe the Olympic commitee should quickly print out some A4 laminated cards (call in the AGC) with the sponsors name on them. Put them on the seats and hey presto!

A quick pan of the camera reveals who has turned up and who has mugged off the games. And the firms are getting free advertising.

Failing that, as many have mentioned on the DM (and else where) if the seats aren't filled (say) 30mins before the start, move everyone forward, and fill the back seats with people who may be enjoying the 'atmosphere of the olympic park and refreshments' but not squandering their tickets.

These tickets should have been given to the achievers at schools up and down the country, so that they, and a parent or two, could be 'inspired'. I an't think of anything much more inspring than watching the worlds finest on the sports pitch after being shown your way through security by the worlds finest too (albeit brough tin at the last minute).

So let me get this right....

The bus has been rostered because seats that have been paid for are not occupied 24/7 by the people who bought them..

So by the Daily Mail principles, when I bought Weekend ticket for an upcomming event, if I don't turn up on the Friday, work and all that, I'm a complete bastard and my ticket should be taken off me and resold to someone else?

They weren't bought, they were given in return for sponsorship. Along with the bragging rights of being 'an Oympic sponsor'.

If you bought a ticket and then something got in the way, I'd wager there would only be a handful (at most) of seats empty... not vast swathes of the arena due to tickets being gifted to people who are not interested in the sports the tickets relate to.

They weren't bought, they were given in return for sponsorship. Along with the bragging rights of being 'an Oympic sponsor'.

If you bought a ticket and then something got in the way, I'd wager there would only be a handful (at most) of seats empty... not vast swathes of the arena due to tickets being gifted to people who are not interested in the sports the tickets relate to.

So in actual point of fact, they paid £ millions for these 'free' tickets?