Lost weapons.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by pompey, Aug 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The US military cannot account for 190,000 AK-47 assault rifles and pistols given to the Iraqi security forces, an official US report says.

BBC news
  2. They are all there, it's just that collectively the Septics can't count up to that number.
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

This isn't news. Does anyone expect the US Army to conduct arms Kote checks of the IA and IPS? Oh, sorry, this is the BBC, so I suppose they do.

We have handed out a fair few tens of thousands of AKs and pistols in the SE, and I bet we've no idea where they are either, nor would we expect to. What they do with them is their concern - and if lots have been used against us, well, that's depressing but again surely not unexpected.

Meanwhile I presume that all the SLRs we gave to the Sierra Leone Army, and all the other weapons we've given away/sold over the years are fully accounted for as well? And the Russians and Chinese have I'm sure kept flawless records of all those AKs and RPGs?

Still, it's an easy stick to bash the Yanks with, though.
  4. Not really, OldSnowy.

The point is firstly the scale of weapons the americans have let go of. This is a lot of weaponry, enough to give every British Soldier an AK-47 with spares. These weapons were meant to go from A-B-C, but somewhere around B they went walkies.

It's not a case of, "I can't believe the US are supplying weapons..." but more a case of, "I can't believe the US can't get these weapons to where they're meant to be..." as a whole bundle have simply been lost in the ether (read insurgents).

Everyone should be aware that weapons are sold and bought regularly, the problem is that the US has been irresponsible in distribution of said weaponry. They should have kept tighter control.
  5. Blimey, not even the Guinness Rangers (UDR) lost that many! :)