Lost Records.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by brummieboy1, Aug 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. This has been a bitter disappointment to me, my old dad's army records appear to have been lost.

    I first applied to Hayes for a copy of his records, only to be told that the records had been sent to Kentigern House in the 1960's. When I approached Kentigern, they told me the records had been returned to Hayes.

    Neither place will admit to losing his records, but they are gone all the same.

    My dad first joined R.Sigs in 1924, he served in India for 8 years, then left the army, but stayed on the reserve. In 1939 he returned to the colours and served until 1945.

    Is there some other avenue I could explore to find out more about him?

  2. BB

    Don't know who you spoke to in Glasgow or when, but Hayes has not been used to store MoD records for several years. Records are now held by TNT at Swadlincote in Derbyshire. As they act under contract to MoD you will need to make request through APC, so may be worth another try via Glasgow using details here.

    Army Records

    Good luck
  3. Thank you lads, your help is much appreciated. I have been going round in circles with this for at least 10 years.

    First contact was with Hayes, then Kentigern Hse, things bummbled along for a long time, then I heard that all army records were being stored electronicaly, so I contacted Kentigern Hse again, but no trace of the old man.

    Will follow both avenues of enquiry. Thanks again both.