Lost POW Book

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I am looking for a book that I lost about five years ago . Its a non fiction history of British soldiers in pow camps in Europe . As well as describing the camps it gives details of regular pow life . the thing that made it memorable for me was a chapter telling the story of Feral Soldiers , gangs which preyed upon other soldiers stealing their rations and so forth.
It was probably published in the 1970s 0r 80s.Other chapters described Rec Cross activities , m19 sending escape kit .

Can anyone here point me in the right direction at all or suggest a title ?
many thanks troops.

I am looking for a book that I lost about five years ago . Its a non fiction history of British soldiers in pow camps in Europe . As well as describing the camps it gives details of regular pow life . the thing that made it memorable for me was a chapter telling the story of Feral Soldiers , gangs which preyed upon other soldiers stealing their rations and so forth.
It was probably published in the 1970s 0r 80s.Other chapters described Rec Cross activities , m19 sending escape kit .

many thanks troops.

First or Second World war?

many thanks troops.

The Long Road Home by Adrian Vincent?

Not an actual history but the biography of a Private who was captured in Calais in 1940. He describes much of what you are looking for including thieving, working conditions etc.

Arbeitskommando by Elvet Williams is another that springs to mind.

For you the war is over by Sam Kydd (the actor)

All written from the junior ranks point of view.

Can't help you Bernie, but I wish I could track down a book I read years back

IIRC it was a Yorkshire Post sports Johnny who became RAF and in a Stalag. For the rest of the war he was breaking in and out of Russian and Polish sections of camps, wandering through Germany and into Italy? before re-entering a camp to enable the intelligence so gained to be got back to MI9 and others.

At some point the Poles made him a handsomely large phallus, containing infected pish so that he could be repatriated on medical grounds.

As a result of your query I've scratched around and found Boldness Be My Friend - anyone out there got this and recognise it from my description ? Richard Pape - Wikipedia

Latest Threads