Lost my card reader...

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by putteesinmyhands, May 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Acer laptop running Vista Home Basic...

Everything running well until this week. Normally, when I put an SD card into the card reader slot, Adobe Photoshop Starter Album kicks in (pain in the arrse - really just want to open with Windows Explorer) and reads through all the photos on the card. I close Adobe, open Explorer and transfer the files as necessary.

Now, Adobe doesn't open, the laptop makes a noise to indicate that it has found new hardware, the remove hardware icon appears in the bottom taskbar and... ...nothing. I open Windows Explorer and can find the SD card as Drive F. Fine so far, but on clicking on Drive F: the laptop goes into "think about it" mode for several minutes before asking me to insert a card in Drive F. If I click on the remove hardware icon, the laptop also goes into "think about it" mode for several minutes then informs me that Windows Explorer has stopped working and searches for a solution. So far it hasn't come back with an answer. On one occasion, apparently randomly, it mentioned something about Windows Shell dll not working, but went into no further detail.

Funnily enough, if I put the same card into the card reader on my wirelessly-connected printer, I can download the files.

I have reinstalled the driver for the laptop's card reader, but there has been no improvement. "Startup Repair" does nothing either.

I don't really want to just back up my files and do a full restore as this will involve me having to take the laptop into work to have the VPN reset - it took long enough to get it working nearly correctly (I can live with the bug). Is there a simple fix for it?

I don't know if it's relevant, but while scanning (wirelessly) today, the link between laptop and scanner got upset after 11 scans , requiring that I turned the printer (scanner) off before being able to do scan 12.

And i'm sure that Linux is very good, but I'm looking for a Vista solution...

Thanks in advance.

2. msr

msr LE

Can you get/borrow another SD card of that type and see if it works?

I suspect your SD card may be on the way out.

msr

3. Not having a good day then :)

4. Again msr hits the pointy thing on the blunt end. I've swapped the SD card and all is back to normal. :)

It was an option I'd considered but discounted as the card was working perfectly fine in the camera and printer. Fortunately the quirks of the different devices allowed me to retrieve some very important (but honestly, very boring) work snaps.

Thanks, msr. Another gold star goes against your name in my little black book. (You'd have got two gold stars if you'd told me the answer about 6 hours before I asked the question).

5. msr

msr LE

I'm good, but I am not psychic :)

msr