Lost fighter pilots

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by brettarider, Dec 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just starting on Ch 5 looking into the 30-odd pilots were were shot down in Korea and never accounted for
  2. Thanks brett, watching now.
  3. Similar prog on History Channel the other day. Many/most/all where F86 Sabre pilots who where said to have been sent to Rooshia for in depth interrogation on advanced features. Had a Rooshin Engineer on who speciality was the advanced 'Radar' gunsight of the F 86.
  4. Terrible for the relatives, but I think we need to see a deal more 'openness' to close the book.

5. Awful subject lost remains and families not knowing the resting place of their loved ones.

Last year I looked into getting a photo of the grave of a Luftwaffe FW 190 pilot that was shot down over South Devon. He was interred in a cemetery in Plymouth, and after the war exhumed for re-burial at Cannock German Cemetery. There are references in Plymouth as to his grave, which obviously doesn't exist any more. Cannock can't help as they don't think they ever received the casket. He wasn't a lone exhumation, if I remember correctly there were about a dozen other Germans exhumed at the same time. All are accounted for at Cannock.

How awful that we lost his remains and that his family cannot visit his grave.
  6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

7. There was also a book written a few years ago regarding I think 500 missing British POW's from WW2 who were never accounted for believed to have been caught up in the Russian advance. As recently as about cuple of years ago there was a story of either a Hungarian/Romanian who had been captured during the war and been wounded as he got processed into the system they thought he was mad due to him speaking in "tongues" they thought him mad it was only the fact that a doctor eventually recognised his language that he was returned to his homeland. he had been in Mental hospitals for 60 years :eek:
  8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP