Loss of sight in one eye, war pension amount?

I lost the sight in my left eye in August 2004 and have been told that I will have to apply for a war pension when I leave in 2027.

After speaking with the RBL they could not tell me the approximate war pension amount I would receive when I leave as I would need an assessment from a doctor etc. They could not tell me if it would be £1 a month or £100 a month.

My question is,

Does anyone on this forum know of someone who lost the sight in one eye and is currently claiming a war pension, as I would like an approximate monthly sum if possible.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
When you leave?

I lost the sight in my left eye in August 2004 and have been told that I will have to apply for a war pension when I leave in 2027.

After speaking with the RBL they could not tell me the approximate war pension amount I would receive when I leave as I would need an assessment from a doctor etc. They could not tell me if it would be £1 a month or £100 a month.

My question is,

Does anyone on this forum know of someone who lost the sight in one eye and is currently claiming a war pension, as I would like an approximate monthly sum if possible.
Is it definitely attributable to military service? Do you have documentary evidence to support this?

And sorry, but on WP it isn't a set amount per injury. It depends how much the injury affects the individual. Some cope better than others.

Is it definitely attributable to military service? Do you have documentary evidence to support this?

And sorry, but on WP it isn't a set amount per injury. It depends how much the injury affects the individual. Some cope better than others.
Thankyou for your reply,

yes it was attributable to military service as it was an accident during adventure training with my unit.

Ok, I understand that the WP requires a doctors assessment, however was not aware that it is not a set amount per injury.

One of the soldiers in my Battery lost an eye: he received a cash payment as compensation with no ongoing payments. It was enough to buy him a decent BMW and pay off the rest of his mortgage.

Have you received a payment or have you been told you will receive a war pension? Make very sure you're not being fobbed off until it is too late to claim. Get everything in writing. I would urge you to speak to the RBL again or get a decent lawyer (the first hour/initial meeting will normally be free). Much as I hate to recommend them, Leigh Day are fücking good (and helped me when an employer tried stabbing me in the back).