Loss of Resettlement Assistance at 55? Watch out if you are extended...

A very good friend and current work colleague - a Group Captain - was offered an extension (at 52) from 55 to 60, which he accepted (kids at school etc). However, he has decided to dabble in a few resettlement courses and was told - categorically - that he cannot undertake any resettlement courses until he PVRs (ET in new Pence) or until he reaches 58.

Now ordinarily, once you get to 50 you can start resettlement courses without having to PVR; for some reason (and what seems to be a quirk in the regulations) that entitlement has stopped if you are extended beyond 55, with NEM cited as the reason.

Now I don't have a dog in this particular fight but my colleague is absolutely fuming about this. He can't see the logic of this and has been basically palmed off with 'computer says no'. He was very tempted to PVR but luckily his wife persauded him to calm down. Instead he's stomping off to a solicitor friend; compunded by the fact he is at a digital and remote overseas post.

Have any elderly - but still serving - Arrsers encountered this problem? Any advice I can give before he has a coronary?

Surely at this stage in his career he must have had ample opportunity to attend as many resettlement events as his time over the normal 22 years service allows?
For example, I am in my 26th year of service and each 2 year period after my initial extension from 22 years I have to re-sign and attend another CTP resettlement interview and start my resettlement process over again.

@Crash - if he's a Gp Captain, Shirley he should have had a bit of foresight to check how his TACOS were going to change before accepting?

Is it actually because of NEM, or is someone just robbing him off - i'd want to be reading through the relevant JSPs before I hired a solicitor.

Surely at this stage in his career he must have had ample opportunity to attend as many resettlement events as his time over the normal 22 years service allows?
For example, I am in my 26th year of service and each 2 year period after my initial extension from 22 years I have to re-sign and attend another CTP resettlement interview and start my resettlement process over again.
Apparently not. He can't undertake any resettlement until he is 58. It's a wierd quirk - I was in your situation and attended a couple of career transition workshops before leaving (end of SSC, (then change to regular commission), once I'd reached 50, once I'd PVRd..). But RAF officers can ordinarily serve until they are 55, so many don't start to take an interest in resettlement until they are 53, which was after he agreed to be extended.

@Crash - if he's a Gp Captain, Shirley he should have had a bit of foresight to check how his TACOS were going to change before accepting?

Is it actually because of NEM, or is someone just robbing him off - i'd want to be reading through the relevant JSPs before I hired a solicitor.
I was offered an extension but left after a long deliberation (and haven't looked back). If I recall correctly, during that deliberation I found no reference to changing TACOS with respect to resettlement - indeed I was assured the resettlement package was the same. But I am interested if anyone else has encountered this quirk.

I was offered an extension but left after a long deliberation (and haven't looked back). If I recall correctly, during that deliberation I found no reference to changing TACOS with respect to resettlement - indeed I was assured the resettlement package was the same. But I am interested if anyone else has encountered this quirk.
That's interesting - then it sounds like a JSP update may have coincided with his extension. He needs to find the source that states he cannot do as he wishes.

That's interesting - then it sounds like a JSP update may have coincided with his extension. He needs to find the source that states he cannot do as he wishes.
Then not trying to be funny but surely he needs to demand of the person that refused him resettlement that they show him it in writing, or give him the reference so he can read it himself instead of relying on what could potentially be someones misinterpretation?

Then not trying to be funny but surely he needs to demand of the person that refused him resettlement that they show him it in writing, or give him the reference so he can read it himself instead of relying on what could potentially be someones misinterpretation?
He has...and I have just hears that apparently there have been a number of others in the RAF (including a couple of former collegues) in the same situation, as quite few Sqn Ldrs - Gp Capts get extended to 60 to cover critical areas. The so-called 50/30 rule was removed under NEM, it seems, and is possibly a descriminatory practise.

That's what I meant by 'the source' - the physical document.

I did that for every claim I made whilst in; I didn't have a single one refused in 10 years.

He is definitely being chinned off, the JSP 534 states:

0401. Service personnel over 50 or with Long Service. Regular service personnel who have reached the age of 50 years or who have completed 30 years service will be allowed to commence the resettlement process early, ie, in advance of the normal start point of 2 years prior to discharge (colloquially known as the “50/30 rule”). Personnel in this category are entitled to the resettlement allowances (GRT, FRP and IRTC grant) defined in the table at para 0313, once only. SP should apply due regard to the timing of their CTW if they wish to access this early, as they will not be entitled to a second CTW closer to their discharge date. SP in this category who reach the original end date of the contract upon which they were originally engaged at the point they accessed their resettlement early, or at a point prior to their original discharge date, but who are then subsequently extended or re-engaged in service, are then entitled to the same benefits as set out at para 0307 which must be applied immediately the service extension or re-engagement documentation is signed by the SP. Retrospective authority is granted for existing SP who took early resettlement under the “50/30 rule” and have subsequently extended or re-engaged but have not yet had para 0307 applied. sS SDEs are to take the appropriate action to apply para 0307 in such retrospective cases. The “50/30 rule” can be accessed and applied once only during a SP’s career on reaching a minimum of 30 years service or a minimum age of 50 years whichever occurs first. Once para 0307 has been applied, then any future entitlements must remain on para 0307 terms. This “50/30 rule” does not apply to FTRS or MPGS personnel.

He is definitely being chinned off, the JSP 534 states:

0401. Service personnel over 50 or with Long Service. Regular service personnel who have reached the age of 50 years or who have completed 30 years service will be allowed to commence the resettlement process early, ie, in advance of the normal start point of 2 years prior to discharge (colloquially known as the “50/30 rule”). Personnel in this category are entitled to the resettlement allowances (GRT, FRP and IRTC grant) defined in the table at para 0313, once only. SP should apply due regard to the timing of their CTW if they wish to access this early, as they will not be entitled to a second CTW closer to their discharge date. SP in this category who reach the original end date of the contract upon which they were originally engaged at the point they accessed their resettlement early, or at a point prior to their original discharge date, but who are then subsequently extended or re-engaged in service, are then entitled to the same benefits as set out at para 0307 which must be applied immediately the service extension or re-engagement documentation is signed by the SP. Retrospective authority is granted for existing SP who took early resettlement under the “50/30 rule” and have subsequently extended or re-engaged but have not yet had para 0307 applied. sS SDEs are to take the appropriate action to apply para 0307 in such retrospective cases. The “50/30 rule” can be accessed and applied once only during a SP’s career on reaching a minimum of 30 years service or a minimum age of 50 years whichever occurs first. Once para 0307 has been applied, then any future entitlements must remain on para 0307 terms. This “50/30 rule” does not apply to FTRS or MPGS personnel.
Apparently the 50/30 rule has been OBEd. An extension is regarded as a new contract, apparently, so 'normal rules apply' ie can't do resettlement until in last 2 years or if PVRd (6 months to squeeze it all in).

A very good friend and current work colleague - a Group Captain - was offered an extension (at 52) from 55 to 60, which he accepted (kids at school etc). However, he has decided to dabble in a few resettlement courses and was told - categorically - that he cannot undertake any resettlement courses until he PVRs (ET in new Pence) or until he reaches 58.

Now ordinarily, once you get to 50 you can start resettlement courses without having to PVR; for some reason (and what seems to be a quirk in the regulations) that entitlement has stopped if you are extended beyond 55, with NEM cited as the reason.

Now I don't have a dog in this particular fight but my colleague is absolutely fuming about this. He can't see the logic of this and has been basically palmed off with 'computer says no'. He was very tempted to PVR but luckily his wife persauded him to calm down. Instead he's stomping off to a solicitor friend; compunded by the fact he is at a digital and remote overseas post.

Have any elderly - but still serving - Arrsers encountered this problem? Any advice I can give before he has a coronary?
A new low point in learned helplessness.