Loss of License Insurance

Ok, this isn't strictly a military aviation related question, however it is militarily related.

In my civvy life I'm a flying instructor and as such have invested considerable time and money in reaching the position I'm now in. However I'm also in the TA and due to deploy soon.

Does anyone know of an insurer who provides loss of license insurance which covers a loss resulting from war risks or participation in a military deployment? Having looked up a few on the internet, most exclude this. Obviously I'm not planning on getting to the position where I'm going to lose my license, but I'd prefer to plan for the worst and not need it in the end...

Thanks in advance.
You an associate member of BALPA? If not, it's very cheap and they could point you in the right direction.

Hiscox have some deals with BALPA IIRC. Try them. Good luck with both bits.


You need to decide whether you really need loss of licence, or whether PTD (permanent total disablement) from your usual occupation will meet your requirement.

It may seem petty, but the difference between the two is important. LoL will pay out if your licence is revoked on medical grounds. PTD requires the loss to be permanent and total, and the burden of proof is higher - the doctor stating that he thinks you are unstable and therefore no longer suitable for flying duties may end up in a payout under LoL, but not under PTD.

A specialist insurance broker may be able to help you, but you will need to find one that is willing to work on a single low cost account (which may exclude the major broking houses). Try Chesterfields:


Similar threads

Latest Threads