Loss of fitness over time

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by crashdummy, Jun 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,

Roughly how long do you have to not train for before your cardiovascular fitness starts to decline?

I was sick just before I was to start AOSB, and am just about recovered now. But I haven't been training for 9 or 10 days now.

Should I be worried?

2. You've got fcuk all to worry about mate, I snapped my ankle last September and was off the road for 3 months, I put a stone on in weight, thankfully thats now long gone and I'm tickety boo again.
  3. I reckon its different for each person.. if I dont run for a week I really feel it when I hit the road.. although it could be psychological.

4. I agree there. I really feel it if I don't run for a week or more but that may be because I'm still relatively new to regular cardio exercise. I reckon that if you were very active when you were in your teens when the body was still growing, you build your fitness to a level where it won't really go below if you stop exercising.

When I was in my teens I had jobs that involved a lot of heavy lifting. Now I find that I am stronger on average than most blokes my age and I don't ever do weights. That base of strength I built when I was still growing has stayed with me into adulthood. If only I had stuck at cross country running as a teen then I wouldn't struggle as much to keep my cardio fitness up now.
  5. Seconded. I took a week off running due to holiday etc, came back and found it a trauma to start again. Took a month off due to injury and threw myself back into it and was surprised by how little my fitness had deteriorated.
  6. I've heard it said that you lose fitness at about the same rate that you gain it. However, it has got to depend upon circumstance and health. Clearly, if you are otherwise healthy when you are training, your training performance will be greater (faster/longer in training and faster/shorter recovery) and you'll get fit quick quick, whereas if you body is fighting illness of injury you'll take longer to get fit; and this is all relative to the rate at which you lose fitness through idleness
  7. think a lot off it might be in your head, saying that though every monday i find it a nightmare to run, could be something to do with all the booze consumed over the weekend tho!!!!
  8. I pondered this one too one day. Did a bit of quack research on the net and found some reputable looking sources that said pretty much that the longer you have been training and the fitter you are the slower you are to loose your fitness. It takes about two weeks on average for someone to start loosing CV fitness, but it can be maintained very well if you do one 30min session a week for a period of time. I read one study that found that people who had been training for a small period of time (3 months)lost all their CV fitness in three months whilst much fitter people lost only 30% in that time according to how they measured it.

So after 10 days I doubt you have lost any fitness. Indeed, after having had a nice rest you might find you actually feel much stronger. When I go down with a chest infection/cold etc I find that the first week I start training again is hard but only because of the fact I am probably still getting over the virus, I then take the weekend off and on monday I feel very strong, stronger than I do on a friday after I have done three training sessions already that week.

So don't worry about it. You're looking at about 2 weeks to start loosing fitness and the longer you have been fit and the fitter you are the longer it is going to take to loose it. You'd probably not notice a massive difference even after a month.
  9. I remember reading that it was a ratio, something like if you train for 9 months then dont train for 3 months, at the end of the 3 months you will have lost all the benfits you gained during the 9 months of training, probably b0llocks though, as said before its down to the individual.
  10. I was really really unfit before joining the TA, I couldn't even run a mile and a half let alone achieve a good time.

But I spent a year training hard, running 3-6 miles a night and doing hundreds of press-ups and sit-ups in sets of 60 and 30 (two sets of 15 underarm and overarm) pull-ups a night, I was superfit, I could do a 1.5 in well under 9 minutes and do 90 or so press-ups and sit-ups on a BPFA.

But then I got lazy again and let it slide and did almost nothing for a year and half whilst smoking and drinking and eating shite, when I started training hard again recently, I was useless at first, but after only a few weeks I have come on loads very quickly, in fact I'm not far off being as fit as before, the only thing I have lost is the ability to run fast (1.5 about 9:40 at the moment) and the ability to do pull ups, but I can still do press-ups and sit-ups and run for miles easily.

It is far easier getting fit again than it was to get fit in the first place, I don't know if it's a mental thing, or if it's because my muscles have retained a lot of strength (or efficiency?).

But a couple of weeks is f**k all, infact it will probably do you good for a short rest.
  11. Just been on a 3 miler. It ain't training 'less it's raining!

Anyway, no discernable loss of fitness. My legs felt a lot stronger than usual, so as said, I think the rest might have done me some good!

I might sound like a knob, but it felt good to be back on the training wagon.

This has given me a 'feel' for my fitness, as I believe you chaps when you say it's a subjective loss over time.

At least I know I can leave it for a while if I have to.

12. Just don't get complacent either, it's far easier to keep it than it is to get it back again.

But a week off here and there is no bother.