Losing your identity

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Sympathetic_Reaction, Oct 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I'm toying with the idea of rejoining the reserves (RAF actually but don't tell anyone) and a number of things are playing on my mind...but one stands out above the rest.

It's not:
    That I am older, unfit and now have a civvi mindset.
    That my wife is threatening to kill me if I get killed/injured.
    That I still have an injury from the last time.

No it is - I'm going to lose my number...those 8 digits which have been engrained into me since I joined will be stripped from me and some little scrote is going to force me to have a 3XXX number from the JPA system.

I'm not sure I am going to be able to handle it...I can see me spending the first weeks getting two digits into my old number before going 'B*gger' and starting again with a 3.

Anyway, that is my thought for the day...anyone else had this fun and games?

2. Nope. 2413... er.... now where did I leave it. it's somewhere around here....
  3. I was stripped of my 2501 number ... i feel voilated ...
  4. If you join the RAF Reserves you will definitely loose your number... mine went and then when I had the sense to come back to the TA I still kept my RAF number as my army number... that confuses a lot of people when I go anywhere apart from my own unit...
  5. Under pressure I still bellow "247....er, sorry I mean 300..."

I must have scribbled out my old last four and rewritten my new last three dozens of times.

There are rather a lot of ex-squaddies in RAuxAF. You can spot us a mile away on parade because we've all mumbling under our breath and constantly glancing at a series of digits biroed on our hands.

Try it, fun for all concerned....
  6. I have had 3 different numbers during my time in- the hardest one to take was the last change, im now a 3003... You get over it but it stings for a bit.
  7. Bugger, after 13 years it's going to have to be a big black marker pen not biro if I have to change number when I go from green to blue.
  8. I rejoined this year started off with my old W105 number than had it changed by JPA and now have a 3010 number with a dash 3 at the end(only for pay and personnel) as JPA f**ked up and gave me 3 service numbers (luck me!!) keep doing the W105 s**t 3010 thing too glad im not the only one :(

Rejoined the civil service and managed to keep my old number even with the new HRMS (civvi JPA)
  9. I left the army and joined the ACF ,had managed to keep my 250 number even on JPA without getting a 300 number.
    Was then given a new number begining with C ?
    I thought these were originally for Navy and RAF ?
  10. 250?

11. I lost my 2512, now i'm on a 3011 job.... well miffed.
  12. Much like your spell checker.
  13. I lost my 2481XXXX and got a 3011XXXX.

The prospect was irritating to me until I got it but frankly it's only a number. If I'd wanted to keep my old one I should have stayed in shouldn't I? :D
  14. How long have you been out? If you were in when JPA was in there's no reason for you to have to get a 301xxxx
  15. I don't think the army had heard of computers when I left! ;)