Losing small wars

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Auld-Yin, Jul 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

In this book Frank Ledwidge discusses the manner in which Britain has fought the last two major conflicts and contends that we lost, having to be replaced by the USMC. To win a copy of this book, and to see if you agree with FL, have a go at this competition.
    Losing Small Wars.jpg

To enter go to the Survey Monkey and answer the three simple questions correctly and you will go into the draw to win this book.

Competition closes at mid-day on Saturday 30th July.​
  2. Have entered. Looks like an interesting (and uncomfortable) read.
  3. that sounds like a hoot
  4. Prehaps the book by Field Marshal Lord Carver;

WE WON A WAR (The Campaign in Oman 1965 - 1975) should be compulsory reading.

ISBN; 978 0859550918 OR 0859550915
  5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

If I don't win this time Auld Yin, I will find out where you live and piss in your whiskey decanter.
  6. Auld-Yin

Fixed that for you (unlike the competitions :) )

Anyway, piss away as a dissipate lifestyle means that alcohol and I are no longer friends :(
  7. HHH

HHH LE

Are you using the question setters of Mastermind now, to write the questions !!:?
  8. Auld-Yin

I will take that as a complement but they can't be that difficult a people seem to be doing quite well . I will have to put as much effort into the questions as Andy Salmon did on his excellent quiz for Scorched Earth. :)
  9. Auld-Yin

Good efforts here with most people getting the answers correct. There are 19 people with all three questions correct.

The answers are;

Q1 Justice Adviser to the UK Task Force in Helmand
    Q2 Iraq and Afghanistan
    Q3 Lord Levene

The publisher will be drawing the winners and I will announce as soon as I hear back from them.
  10. I have just finished this book - the full title is indicative of the content

LOSING SMALL WARS - British military failure in Iraq and Afghanistan.

1) This book would not have been needed if Tony Blair and the government had the decency and intelligence to listen to Field Marshall Lord Bramall who was against involvment in Iraq from the beginning and asked all the right questions " Of course we can get to Baghdad, but what are we going to do when we get there?" Letter to The Times.

2). Ledwidge tells of a certain very Senior Officer (but does not name) who went skiing in France just as a major op. was beginning. However, from the text and the context we can easily figure that one out.

3). Lovely little vignette on page 62 showing the British sense of humour

General David Richards, Commander of ISAF in southern Afghanistan at the time

We were told the Canadians had asked to do Kandahar and that we would go to a place called Helmand. and I thought "Where's Helmand?".

This should be required reading for every British serviceman and woman this August. It is certainly the most hard-hitting. It is clear that the author has nothing but admiration for the courage, tenacity and professional of the British Army- all ranks but -with a few notable exceptions- only those below one star. The tale he tells will make very uncomfortable reading for almost everyone with the rank of Brigadier upwards and all the politiicans involved. Very few civil servants or anyone at the MOD will enjoy reading it either.

Frank Ledwidge has "done the State some service". If only a quarter of what he outlines is true we should see a mass falling on swords.
  11. Auld-Yin

AND THE WINNERS ARE.................

As chosen by the publisher, 2 books on offer so they go to:-

(again!! come on guys, more need to enter to lessen HHH's chances of winning :) )​

I will email the winners and ask for contact addresses.
  12. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I did you old git.

It's a fix I tell ya.
  13. HHH

HHH LE

Here, that's enough of that, I like winning. Brains will out (Don't mention the "If chaos reigns" competition).
    Have you not got my address on pre-printed labels, it would save you a lot of time and effort hand writing my address out all the time !!
  14. HHH

HHH LE

Received my copy to-night, many thanks.
  15. I've just finsihed the book - and I thnk you are wrong. Our Army has been on the path described in this book (the one that leads inevitably to a major f#ckup) for a long time. The only questions were 'When?', 'Where?', 'How big?' and 'Are they grown-up enough to learn from it when it happens?'

Only the last of those three remains unanswered. I for one am not optimistic: SDSR and associated administrative catastrophes provide a perfect opportunity to gloss over the fact that system lost the plot over 20yrs ago, and has equipped the army with a generation of leaders who can do all the battle drills, but lack the capacity for the kind of rigorous professional thought on which the survival of their subordinates depends.

I have heard it said that Managers make sure things get done 'the right way'.The job of leaders is to make sure the right things get done.

It won't take much of a mental effort to figure out which category I think we have trained our 'Leadership' cadre to operate in.