Losing Fat, Not Gaining Weight

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by Cutaway, Apr 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I need some sensible & professional help with a question.

When trg my main problem has been trying to gain weight rather than losing it, so I always beasted myself towards that goal.
    I've just been asked the best way of losing excess fat without gaining muscle, and as I've had little to do with that I'm stumped.

The bint concerned is twenty-five years old and has let herself gain a fair bit of chubbiness.
    She is holding herself to a fairly strict diet and trg programme.

30 mins stairwalker
    20 mins trg bike at 8 kph (I don't know what level of resistance)
    30 mins treadmill (7 mins run/3 mins walk x 3)
    15 mins stairwalker

This routine is carried out three to four times per week.

Her weight loss was going fine at first then it shelved off and has now stopped.
    She has adhered to the diet/trg but now just seems to be increasing her muscle bulk and is understandably p!ssed off with this state of affairs.

Any suggestions other than lay off the Ginsters ?

2. I can only suggest eating small amounts of food but often, this stops your body thinking that it's being starved and then stores less fat.

I used to have the same problem with muscle gain, but mine was a problem with the upper body, arms, neck and shoulders.

I am no expert but maybe the resistance levels she is using are building up up calf/thigh/bumb muscles. Tell her to try slow long distance running. That's what I do and as yet, have never seen a big muscle bound runner. Just nice sleak lines :D

3. Sounds like she is off to a good start. Would suggest adding some weight training (light weight, high reps).

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Cheers for the info so far folks, I'll pass it on.

Corpse, won't the weights firm her muscles up ? She's getting muscular calves now & wants basically to turn into a sylph !

Also any suggestions for losing weight where women get it most, ie hips & butt ?

5. Still cardio, maybe swimming, running etc.

6. It will tone her up, but not make her look like a man. Very light weight and high reps (12-15). There are numerous studies that show you loose faster with weights and cardio than you do with just cardio. It's also easier to keep the weight off with both.

7. I'm not a professional, but fwiw:

Even if girls do proper weight-lifting stuff, they are unlikely to get big, chunky muscles... See here: http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html for further info.

Meantime, it seems as though what she's doing is geared towards lower body suff, rather than anything else. Would suggest trying out a class (something girly like 'Legs Bums and Tums') and / or swimming. Great thing about swimming is that even if youdo build muscle, it tends to be long, smooth muscle, rather than the bulgy, male, Arnie vaiety.

8. If she's really up for losing weight, try wearing a bin bag whilst training. Yes, you may look like a bad witch at a fancy dress party, but you will shed pounds if you maintain it over a period of days. I went for runs outside before I started P Coy and lost about 5 lbs in a week (maybe not all through the bin bag, but it surely must have helped) :oops:

9. If she's really up for losing weight, try wearing a bin bag whilst training. Yes, you may look like a bad witch at a fancy dress party, but you will shed pounds if you maintain it over a period of days. I went for runs outside before I started P Coy and lost about 5 lbs in a week (maybe not all through the bin bag, but it surely must have helped) :oops:

10. I would strongly suggest not doing this. You'll loose water weight, not fat and overheating is a real possibility.