LORENZ cipher - Memorial planned for WWII codebreaker Bill Tutte

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Goatman, May 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Source

'bout time..tick,v.g.

2. Agreed. I'd also like to see Tommy Flowers given more recognition.

Oh and I do love these quotes saying that Churchill reckoned this or that shortened the war by X number of months or years. I'm sure that if they were all added together the Second World War would have ended in 1938.

3. I went for a tour around Blectchley Park a few years ago with my Doris. The "tour guide" was a sprightly lady who had served there during the war. The tour party was varied and consisted of a few Irish who had availed themselves of cheap weekend bargains and had flow over from Dublin for the day. They were fascinated by the place and also spent a long time in the Winston Churchill collection that was then run by a fellow Irishman.

Also in the party was an elderly German man who tried to belittle everything our tour guide said about Enigma and its cracking. Our doughy guide was not having anything of this and in the end the German stated, "You may have beaten Enigma but you didn't beat Lorenz." Our guide retorted that Bletchley nevertheless cracked what they knew as Tunny only to find out later that the Germans called it Lorenz. Our German friend was having none of this even when shown irrefutable evidence of the Allied success.

Perhaps it was because of this character flaw, that the Germans carried on using Enigma when the evidence showed that it may have been cracked?

4. The breaking of the 30 Aug Lorenz message by John Tiltman and the subsequent inference of the internal structure of the machine by Bill Tutt has to be one of the most impressive feats of intellectual agility in recorded history...

I really do get fed up at the way we abuse such genius in the UK.. Tutt is by no means the first. So many true geniuses get screwed over by the system in UK, we really do not deserve to succeed as well as we do..

Harrison the inventor of the chronograph, Whittle, Barnes Wallis, Hook, Ferguson, Boxer and of course Flowers and Turing all got the shitty end of the stick dealing with HMG.. and many, many more...

Glad to here something is being done for Tutt, but it would be nice if folk who achieve so much were recognised at the time and not after they have gone...