Lordy, lordy.

I'm not sure whether these people are just arrogant or plain stupid, but there's clearly something rotten still at the heart of our Parliamentary system, something not just confined to a single party.

Now three Lords caught in 'cash for access' sting: Ex Labour minister Jack Cunningham 'wanted £144,000 for lobbying' as two other peers are linked to fake solar energy firm | Mail Online
Nothing has changed...

Did we ever expect it to? Power corrupts and too much power corrupts completely.

But its 'the system' and that is the way it is. Without a new system this is what we are consigned too.

They make the rules they are entitled to break them. What's the worst which can happen? Referral to the Parliamentary commissioner for standards? Do me a favour this quango has as many teeth as a goldfish.

Look at Patrick Mercer. In any other profession he would be labelled a crook and put before the courts. As an MP he gets to quietly resign the whip and see out his two years notice on full pay and expenses and will get the end of tour bonus into the bargain.

There is a ****ing nasty smell pervading the corridors of both big houses this morning.

Did we ever expect it to? Power corrupts and too much power corrupts completely.
And the love of money is the root of all evil.

Look at Patrick Mercer. In any other profession he would be labelled a crook and put before the courts. As an MP he gets to quietly resign the whip and see out his two years notice on full pay and expenses and will get the end of tour bonus into the bargain.
Maybe not...

Patrick Mercer could face police questions under Bribery Act | Politics | The Observer

Though of course the chances of anything coming from it are pretty slim. It's not as if he did something serious, like being rude about someone on the internet.

One of those "We can't tell you anything but something's happening" stories that papers run so that speculation becomes rampant, and if there's an accurate guess then said paper goes to court and says "this information is already in the public domain, so can we please run the story?"

Yes, I'm cynical but it's the Daily Mail's SOP.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
They say Guy Fawkes was the last man to enter Parliament with honest intentions...

If John Major/Edwina Currie came as a shock then Boris/Samantha/Nadine (or both of them at the same time) should cause a minor earthquake.

One of those "We can't tell you anything but something's happening" stories that papers run so that speculation becomes rampant, and if there's an accurate guess then said paper goes to court and says "this information is already in the public domain, so can we please run the story?"

Yes, I'm cynical but it's the Daily Mail's SOP.
Give it a couple of days and there will be some names out there. Some hack will already know who this is and will use the back channels to get the names out there anonymously.

Those named will then be forced into a denials.. Or maybe they won't

2/1 Boris & Sam
3/1 Prince Harry & Sam
5/1 Boris & Dave
10/1 Ed Balls & Yvette Cooper
50/1 Nick Clegg & Ed Milliband
100/1 Boris & Ken Livingstone
1000/1 Norman Tebbit & Maggie's corpse

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a fairly well paid job, and I travel from time to time on expenses. I also get to out on 'team meals', etc., every few months. I've never felt the need to cane my expenses for every last penny I can get out of them, nor do the bulk of my colleagues.

For example, if I'm travelling, there is a fairly good daily meal allowance. I have what I want from the menu and if its a cheaper option, I don't feel the need to keep ordering side dishes and additional deserts to get the price up the the limit. My company treats me as an adult and trusts me to use expenses wisely - I do my best to do so.

It's really not difficult to be responsible with expenses - which makes me wonder why so many MP's find it difficult to grasp the concept.

Wordsmith

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W The NAAFI Bar 33
bitterandtwisted The NAAFI Bar 13