Lords wrong on detainees - Straw

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Greg S, Dec 17, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The thing that worries me about the Lords ruling is that the actual legal objection they've raised is against making a distinction between how foreigners can be treated in law as opposed to British citizens.

There could be unintended consequences 8O

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Because the European Convention on Human Rights, and the Human Rights Act, forbids the deportation of individuals to their home countries if they face execution there. For the same reason the UK won't deport crims to the US if they could face the death penalty in either a Federal or State Court.

3. Great, that makes us a magnet for degenerates, crims and terrs!

4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I can see where their Lordships are coming from. People either have rights in law, or they don't. If people have rights in law, then they have to apply to everyone. If they don't, then a logical outcome is 1930's Germany.

So Mr Clarke now has to square a circle. Either these people have rights and so Habeus Corpus and a fair trial apply, or these people (who have no legal right to remain in the UK are deported to face an almost certain death in their home countries) are sent home and Mr Clarke has another embarrassing day in court.

Alternatively, the Home Office could just tear up the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, and re-instigate Diplock Courts. And Mr Clarke could have yet another interesting day in court.

Only winners - Lawyers.

5. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I see that once again the Great Satan puts his voluminous knowledge of the law above that of a nine man team, each with many years of legal experience.

Cheers Jack - you've again confirmed to the nation that you're an arrogant cnut who wouldn't know sh!t from clay !

Plank !

:evil:

6. As long as he doesn't think that decraing a "Civil Contingency" and suspending Habeas Corpus for all is a workable short-term method of keeping the foreign chappies locked up....

7. They want to do this to foreigners first so as to get people used to the idea.

Then, when it seems normal, and ordinary, they can do it to anyone.

8. lol (in a dodgy german accent)........

"ID Card please! YOU ARE NOT A LABOUR SUPPORTER AND ARE A ENEMY OF DER FUHRER! You will now jump on the truck to the detention center!!"

Jack Straw seems strikingly similar to SS Reichsführer Heinrich Himmler.....

NAZIS = A violent group who rose to power in a democracy and established institutions of legitimized terror.

Sounds familiar??!?!

[​IMG]

9. Deport them.

Has it been proven that these people WILL be executed if returned to their respective countries? I think not, these irksome little people have been sent here to cause as much distruction as possible and then leave.

Straw is wrong in as much as he should have got shot of the ASAP and not hold onto them indeffinitely.

Johno

10. LOL, how could you prove that until it happens? Would suit you, no doubt...

11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I thought Johno was on about Straw & his mob, I'd definitely deport them !

12. Saw some Labour minister being questioned on Ch4 news on Thu night. Can't remember her name, increasingly they are acting like clones, viz the one on Question Time tonight.

She was good enough to say that the Government would "take into account" the House of Lords decision. FFS, it's our country's Supreme Court and these charlatans are treating it like a focus group.

13. source http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3905562