lords select committie debates scrapping OAP's concessions.

In todays daily Mail. The house of lords( £300 P/D attendance hand out, tax free) is recommending that bus passes, and TV licences for the over 75's be scrapped, to make it fairer to the younger generation, it goes on to state that NI contributations that cease at pensionable age, be reinstated if pensioners work beyond their retirement date. There is a whole raft of recommendations in the full article.

*Having worked for over 50 years, paid my dues, done army time, obeyed all the rules and regulations, I feel like all the Old & bold, that we have earned the concessions afforded to us, my father ( 92 still alive, and still paying tax ) and his generation, who done war service, more so, and these un-elected knobs, some inherited through ancient blood lines, who would not know a hard days graft if it landed on their lap, have got a monumental bloody cheek, and what do the bishops and high church clergy know of want and going without, Fruckhall. My recommendations to them, all of you, piss off to your country estates, and free up the chamber, and elect 100 ordinary intelligent working men and women, who have more than a modicum of real life experiences in the real harsh world that your lot have totally Fcuked up, decide what is required for the population of these islands, I can only quote Cromwell " You have been sat to long here for any good you have been doing, depart I say, and let us have done with you, in the name of god go" April 1653.

* Note to MOD's:- I chose the Naafi bar, as I suspect the reply's may contain some choice and contentious words and phrases.

Last edited:
I fully support the removal of the TV licence from retired pensioners.
I think it should be scrapped completely benefitting all. Fcuk the BBC.

Having turned 60 and still working I was amazed to find out that I was entitled to free prescriptions. Surely that should be tied to retirement. More money tossed away.

Meanwhile
Food bank supplies help record numbers

I did one of those pensions calculators the other week, one of the assumptions based on 'my lifestyle' was that every few years I'd be buying a new car so I'm not going to need a bus pass (never bought a new car in my life - depreciations way too high). I barely need the TV licence now as I rarely watch live TV and no doubt by then it'll all be online subscription.

I also don't expect the state to support me and look on the state pension as a Brucie bonus when I finally get it - at the current rate sometime in my 80s.

That said I am planning to play the system and semi retire at 60 when my NHS and AFPS 70 pensions kick in and get a nice little part time job that will pay the bills but reduce my tax liability to bugger all.
Coincidentally 2 years later my daughter will be University age and guess who on paper will be poor as a Church mouse.

Nice to see that these benefits are being discussed by the type of people who probably have 2-3 homes around the world and for who the cost of the TV license is roughly what they would tip at a good restaurant.
These cuts will never affect them in any way shape or form.

Although I do agree with scrapping the TV license fee for everyone. The BBC is dreadful and should have to compete properly with ITV / Sky etc.

This circle is not too difficult to square.

All concessions, benefits and other payments given to the populace by a beneficent government i.e. our own money back, should be subject to tax. This includes child benefit. If we insist in the continued fiction of "National Insurance" then it should be payable by those working no matter what age. The way to help people is to pay a reasonable state pension and use the income tax thresholds to protect the working poor not create specific "concessions" in a fit of political vote gathering, which then fail to hit the target cleanly and create ridiculous anomalies.

And while we are at it we should get rid of that hideous farce, the "House of Lords".

I fully support the removal of the TV licence from retired pensioners.
I think it should be scrapped completely benefitting all. Fcuk the BBC.

Having turned 60 and still working I was amazed to find out that I was entitled to free prescriptions. Surely that should be tied to retirement. More money tossed away.
Ah you must live in England, the rest of us are used to free prescriptions and we don't have to be retired to get them

All funded by the generosity of English taxpayers

The House of Lords is full of political cronies and the ancestors of someone who let the King shag his daughter/wife/dog/horse.

Get rid of it. The useless bunch of clunts.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
One of the officers from my old Regiment gets his £200 every year and promptly gives it away to charity. The guy has 'family money' big style and is embarrassed to get the money. He wrote to the DWP or whatever it was called, and asked them to stop sending it but was told it was a blanket payment to all regardless of situation and could not be stopped.

I understand the issues with means testing and not everyone likes that but there could be a threshold for any government payments, set high enough that those on the cusp would not really be disadvantaged by not getting it.

*Having worked for over 50 years, paid my dues, done army time, obeyed all the rules and regulations, I feel like all the Old & bold, that we have earned the concessions afforded to us,
The chances are you that far from paying your dues, you have been claiming more than you have put it.

Old fuckers are always going on about "paying in all their lives" they dont count child benefit, the NHS, council services etc that they have also been taking out all their lives, the national debt has risen nearly every year since it started, but you dont see many people voting for parties that dont want to bribe the voters.

The chances are you that far from paying your dues, you have been claiming more than you have put it.

Old ******* are always going on about "paying in all their lives" they dont count child benefit, the NHS, council services etc that they have also been taking out all their lives, the national debt has risen nearly every year since it started, but you dont see many people voting for parties that dont want to bribe the voters.
Have you not got any work to do, we are paying your wages L/Cpl, its not Wednesday afternoon.

Archie

Have you not got any work to do, we are paying your wages L/Cpl, its not Wednesday afternoon.

Archie
RGJBloke pays my wages not you.

Old ******* are always going on about "paying in all their lives" they dont count child benefit, the NHS, council services etc that they have also been taking out all their lives, the national debt has risen nearly every year since it started, but you dont see many people voting for parties that dont want to bribe the voters.

The first 20 years tax on PAYE, The last 30 years I was self employed, paying 20% tax, business tax, and tax on my businesses' insurance, VAT on everything I bought in. Council services are paid from my class E council tax,. NI (Tax) paid weekly, 1000 miles a week= petrol tax, and as a self employed man, not eligible for ANY government hand-outs, and when out of work, living on our savings, as for child benefits, even aunt Betty was eligible. Army service, I paid tax. army reserve bounty, 30% Tax.so, tell me again, how much I haven't contributed?..... Oh, almost forgot, my army pension is taxed, as is my small private pension.

Edit:- Born free, and taxed to death.

Last edited:
The first 20 years tax on PAYE, The last 30 years I was self employed, paying 20% tax, business tax, and tax on my businesses' insurance, VAT on everything I bought in. Council services are paid from my class E council tax,. NI (Tax) paid weekly, 1000 miles a week= petrol tax, and as a self employed man, not eligible for ANY government hand-outs, and when out of work, living on our savings, as for child benefits, even aunt Betty was eligible. Army service, I paid tax. army reserve bounty, 30% Tax.so, tell me again, how much I haven't contributed?..... Oh, almost forgot, my army pension is taxed, as is my small private pension.
Not eligible for ANY government handouts closely followed by a justification that child benefit is ok because other people got it.

Do you think the NHS, education, etc are all paid for from the magic money tree?

If you were self employed and didnt try any tax avoidance schemes?

Not eligible for ANY government handouts closely followed by a justification that child benefit is ok because other people got it.

Do you think the NHS, education, etc are all paid for from the magic money tree?

If you were self employed and didnt try any tax avoidance schemes?

What Fcuking planet are you on, The NHS is paid from central taxes, Me, you, big businesses, import tariffs,etc PAYE contributions are but a fraction of monies gathered by government to run Britain & Co Ltd.

My wife received child benefit even while we were in army quarters, as for tax avoidance schemes, NO, as a one man band, I did not want to loose my marriage, home and liberty, I like thousands of others, played it straight, and having worked in HMRC HQ as a tradesman, I have witnessed exactly what those vultures can and did to company's that tried it on, and my accountant was old school, straight as a die, I know that will be hard for you to comprehend, but such people do exist.... End of explanation, and conversation.

Last edited:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
If they bin the free bus pass before I get to it I'm not going to be impressed. In fact, I'll express my displeasure by not voting in the next House of Lords general election; oh wait...

What Fcuking planet are you on, The NHS is paid from central taxes, Me, you, big businesses, import tariffs,etc PAYE contributions are but a fraction of monies gathered by government to run Britain & Co Ltd.

My wife received child benefit even while we were in army quarters you knob, as for tax avoidance schemes, NO, as a one man band, I did not want to loose my marriage, home and liberty, I like thousands of others, played it straight, and having worked in HMRC HQ as a tradesman, I have witnessed exactly what those vultures can and did to company's that tried it on, and my accountant was old school, straight as a die, I know that will be hard for you to comprehend, but such people do exist.... End of explanation, and conversation.

Government spending generally comes from a big pot regardless of their stories of "ringfenced money"

To clarify, you did claim benefits which for some reason makes a difference you were in pads quarters at the time so you lied when you said you didn't get ANY government handouts.

Tax avoidance is playing it straight, I dont know a single self employ person who doesnt do it.

If you were such a great contributor how come you need a hand out now?

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Government spending generally comes from a big pot regardless of their stories of "ringfenced money"

To clarify, you did claim benefits which for some reason makes a difference you were in pads quarters at the time so you lied when you said you didn't get ANY government handouts.

Tax avoidance is playing it straight, I dont know a single self employ person who doesnt do it.

If you were such a great contributor how come you need a hand out now?
Oi! He’s paid his way right... you deaf or summat

Oi! He’s paid his way right... you deaf or summat
Makes you wonder how the country is in so much debt with all these old fuckers paying in so much.