Lords becoming PM

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Paragon, Apr 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If somebody from the Lords becomes PM how are they held to account? Am I correct in thinking that they would be unable to sit in the commons and as such we wouldn't see things like PMQs? Or do they have a commons representative who will speak on their behalf?

Obviously with Cyclops on his way out I am having nightmares of Lord Rumba of Rio taking over.
  2. Convention dictates that PMs must come from the commons, although not legally binding the precedent from conventions are very strong therefore i highly doubt this convention will be broken. So you can sleep easy that Lord Rumba wont be heading the government :wink:
  3. Lords can't address the Commons, this is one reason Churchill became PM- the only competitor, Lord Halifax IIRC, felt that he couldn't lead properly without being able to do this.

A Lord can be PM, but the senior Govt Minister in the Commons would take PMQs- although it may be called something else.
  4. The last Peer to be PM was Lord Salisbury..

most of his cabinet were peers as well...

I am no expert in Parlimentary procedure, however the parliamentary Labour party in the commons would have to be:

a. In a majority
    b. Happy to allow the government focus to shift to the house of Peers...

... neither of which I would hope is likely :roll:

Anyway, all the labour BBs hate Mandy which is why he is where he is..
  5. everyone hates him :lol:
  6. In practice it is possible for a Peer to become PM although this hasn't happened for a very long time.
    This is why we still have the position of 'Leader of the house' who would represent the PM at question time and in debate.
  7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

See also Alec Douglas-Home who was a member of the Lords when he was asked to be PM. Renounced his title and fought a by-election to join the Commons.
  8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Presumably, to follow convention, a Peer would have to do a "Stansgate" and revoke the Peerage (i.e. go from Lord Stansgate to Anthony Wedgewood-Benn, to Tony Benn), do the time in the Commons as PM, and then pray that they get kicked back upstairs in the first "list" after their retirement (after all it would be bad form for them to nominate themselves on their own retirement).

The Prime Minister's actual office (IIRC) is First Lord of The Admiralty. So, s/he would probably nominate a First Chief Petty Officer of The Admiralty to answer questions on his/her behalf.
  9. Errr, fairly sure it's First Lord of the Treasury...
  10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

You're very probably right.

Thanx for negating the comic effect.....
  11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I think he's quite popular in Brazilian Houseboy circles.

What a foul image.
  12. Oh I don't know. Having Darling as his representative surely has some comedic merit :wink:
  13. Oooh what a good idea. Award St Tony a peerage & the Dear Leader can come back to take care of us in perpetuity.

In fact why not make them ALL peers to continue the Project?
  14. You are right - First Lord of the Admiralty was the civilian minister responsible for the Navy after 1806 (prior to that it could have been a naval officer). Thus the rise of the title First Sea Lord to distinguish the professional head of the Navy from his civilian counterpart. Once the Board of Admiralty was abolished in the 60s the First Lord went with it. 1SL and 2SL remain.