Lord Mountbatten's Pistol

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Little Militia Boy, Jun 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

coo a weapon not handed over to the provos must be unique :)

2. Alarming to hear that weapons seized in 1972 weren't destroyed at the time and are seemingly still around.

3. Grumblegrunt

they were shuffled out the back door and sent north by the same sympathisers who helped train the boyos in ieds. allegedly.

4. The reason the weapons weren't destroyed was that they were taken into the custody of the state for safe keeping, they were not confiscated for destruction purposes. The intention was to return them to their rightful owners when conditions allowed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grumblegrunt

those handed over and logged, amnesty weapons were fair game like all the ones which disappeared here a few years back and featured in a few court cases.

6. I liked the way they slipped this in
    Whilst not completely untrue, it ignores the fact that there were four other people on board, and that one of those also died. Makes you wonder what agenda the Independent.ie has.

7. This one perhaps......

UK Indymedia - Lord Mountbatten linked to Kincora child abuse ring

.......the press feels they are on the ropes at present with the gubment fitting them with a PRAVDA style muzzle. They are naturally therefore busy reviewing the dirt they didn't bother to dig earlier in the "don't rock the boat" era.

8. I'm not sure 'rock the boat' is the best expression to use just here ...

• Like Like x 5
  9. They are getting their sly snide shot in before The Duke of Edinburgh can get out of hospital. Some stripy at the Indi is going to get pistol whipped when the old man is discharged!

10. I thought you meant this one;

"Another tale is that at the Quebec Conference of 1943 Mountbatten brought a block of pykrete along to demonstrate its potential to the entourage of admirals and generals who had come along with Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt. Mountbatten entered the project meeting with two blocks and placed them on the ground. One was a normal ice block and the other was pykrete. He then drew his service pistol and shot at the first block. It shattered and splintered. Next, he fired at the pykrete to give an idea of the resistance of that kind of ice to projectiles. The bullet ricocheted off the block, grazing the trouser leg of Admiral Ernest King and ending up in the wall. According to Perutz's own account,[7] however, the incident of a ricochetting bullet hitting an Admiral actually happened much earlier in London and the gun was fired by someone on the project—not Mountbatten."

Pykrete - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some people shouldn't be allowed near guns.

• Like Like x 1
  11. No word in the article or from the family on how he came to lose it in the first place. If it was for personal protection was it licensed and was he allowed to take it back and forwards into the republic?

I assume 1972 was before the days of personal security details.

12. It does.

"Firearms over a certain calibre had to be surrendered in the Republic in 1972 as emergency laws were rushed through parliament to deal with the conflict that broke out in Northern Ireland."

So it was handed over when the law was changed, making possession illegal.

I wonder what they're going to do with all the other weapons in their store. I'm impressed that it was kept in storage in Ireland for 40 years and hasn't emerged as a block of rust.

So was 1979, unfortunately.

13. I'm amused that the journo scribbling the piece can't tell the difference between a Beretta and a Browning, suppose they both do begin with a B!!!