Lord Levy - Is the House of Blair about to crumble?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by frenchperson, Jul 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The third thread on this subject....
  2. I hope he fell down some stairs on the way into the nick.
  3. Lord Levy will be afforded the Best QC that deals with this sort of bravado. The likes of him ever coming to court is very slim. Somebody in the higher echelons of the CPS will be persuaded to say it's not in the public interest much to the annoyance of the investigating officers..
  4. There are some hopeful precedents. Lord Archer was jailed for 4 years for perjury and perverting the course of justice in 2001 and retained his peerage which, had it been either you or I with that sort of conviction, would have prevented us earning a living as a School cleaner! Again, we have former Cabinet Minister Jonathan Aitken who was awarded two concurrent terms of 18 months imprisonment in 1999 for, as with Archer, perjury and perverting the course of justice.

Of course, these were Tories who were not in power when New Labour came to office and their crimes were both obvious and gross so it is doubtful that there would have been much political imperative to bring any sort of pressure upon CPS.

I would tend to agree with the analysis offered in the sense that Lord Levy is very much New Labour and I think it would be a brave officer within the CPS who would risk his career by certifying a charge in respect of one of Tony's sycophants.

After all, we have to remember why the CPS was set up in the first place. Officially, the public were told that the reason for it's creation was to improve the standard of prosecution evidence which had hitherto been in the hands of the Police. The real reason was that the establishment were shocked by the case of Jeremy Thorpe, the leader of a major political party who was charged by the Police with conspiracy to murder his former lover!

The establishment had to come up with an 'independent' (that word again!) body that could be sufficiently controlled to ensure and politically undesirable prosecutions did not occur!

Regards and best wishes

Thus I would tend to concur the view of Judge_John in this particular case.
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Iolis, you forget a certain former MP whose name began with H (allegedly) who was hauled over the coals (quite rightly IMHO) for taking money from a shop keeper to ask questions in the Commons. I think he lost is constituency to a man in a cream suit 8)

Money to ask questions or money to feather your own (sycophantically) nest. Is there any difference?
  6. Levy wouldn't get locked up if he was filmed raping and murdering a ten year old. As Judge_John said prosecuting him will "not be in the public interest"
  7. All depends which way the media play it.

The current government live by the media, so fortunately they can die by the media.

One can only live in hope :(
  8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Oh YES it feck will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had you said not in Neu Arbeit's interest I could only agree.

Blunktwitt was on the news tonight asking for a quick investigation so that the work of government would not be upset. How fecking angry can someone get about these sleezeballs?
  9. Hi Auld-Yin,

I think you refer to Mr Neil Hamilton who lost his Knutsford constituency amid allegations made by Harrods owner Mr Fayed and other members of his own party, including Edwina Curry of sleaze and other political impropriety.

Of course Hamilton suffered the political consequences of his alleged impropriety by losing his seat on the political 'Gravy Train' rather than suffer any legal consequences for a breach of the criminal law. He also suffered a great deal of personal financial loss in failed litigation against Fayed and others.

Sleeze was a defining characteristic of the Tories during their third term in office and it would seem to be a defining characteristic of this ideologically indistinct party during its third term as well!

I would certainly like to see us following the example shown by the Americans in the Enron case and have these people put behind bars for lengthy periods of time!

The only Labour politician who has actually come anywhere close to censure was Keith Vaz while he was Minister for Europe who narrowly escaped arrest and was, instead investigated by the standards and privileges committee which was then headed by Elizabeth Filkin which resulted in Vaz being suspended from Parliament for a month!

Filkins committee was so successful at holding Ministers to account, albeit with weak powers, that the Government slashed her budget, reduced her staff and made her committee's job almost impossible to perform. She eventually resigned when her position became almost untenable and Blair softened the blow by ennobling her.

Ministerial accountability is almost entirely outside of Parliament now and very much in the hands of the Prime Minister who will rather offer his unqualified support for corrupt MPs rather than handing a scalp to the opposition in censuring them!

Regards and best wishes to you
  10. Not too mention the fact that the government deleted all it's emails a few years ago to 'save space'.
  11. Sky News

BBC News

The two different takes on the story are quite interesting. Watching the Channel 4 news earlier, they had the Blind Man on suggesting that the Police are now performing to the media rather then actually investigating the alledged crime.

I am waiting for the smear campaign to start against the Police officer leading the investigation now, should be in full effect by the morning. Just speculating (wishing) on where this is going, wouldn't it be poetic justice if Bliar himself was arrested. I would love to be the Police officer reading that cnut his rights...
  12. If it does happen, watch all the rats flee the sinking ship - then climb aboard the SS Broon
  13. Lets hope finally some one, ie the public, realises that Blair and his cronies are all crooks! He should go to jail, him, prescot, levi and the whole corrupt lot! Rant over..... but lets hope they go to jail and its not just going to be "spun" to distract attention from Prescot or as a clever move by Sir Ian Blair to make sure Tony Blair does not get him sacked over last years shooting of the innocent Brazilian
  14. And shares in shredding machine companies went through the roof in the same week