Lord Drayson

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ash_Plant, Jun 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is he back, replacing that idiot QD?
  2. Chance would be a fine thing. He was a genuinely talented person who understood his job and how to help the Services.
  3. It would appear that he is indeed back in the MOD.
  4. That is so badly written that it could mean anything.

I will speak to my contacts tomorrow. It would be good if he returned to the MOD; he does, after all, have a huge amount of industry experience.

5. As a septic observer I thought US politics could get confusing. Right now it would be a miracle for anyone, including Mr. Brown to remember who is minister of what.

Maybe if they played music and when it stops each minister sits in the nearest chair and then see what the label reads.

All I can say at this point is good luck to all of you.
  6. I didn't think that Septics did "sarcasm"? :D

7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

And what is he going to do with the little time he will have in this position? Is he likely to want to/be allowed to stay on after a change in government?

I like the man and think he is really good news but the Chiefs ganged up on him last time and I don't think that things have changed much. How much frustration will he be able to put up with this time round if he can't get reforms through? He needs more authority than he was given last time.

There is so little money to have, the Chiefs will be at each others throats whenever anyone threatens their individual spend and that what Drayson will find himself up against again.

Perhaps if he was to take one task on, it would be to reset our pathetic procurement techniques to something that works. If he could achieve that, I'd name him magician.
  8. He's been back in government for the last 8 months, don't think he's moved to defence though, although with all the reshuffles he might end up back here, although i doubt it as Drayson is still working away in the science role.
  9. I agree and that is why I wrote that the BBC article didn't read well.

There was a recent broadsheet article on the gentleman that described him as being happy and on his way to Le Mans (IIRC) where he was to race a "green" racing car (if there is such a thing...). The article suggested that Lord Drayson was very happy as the "Science" Minister and wasn't about to return to the MOD! Too much like hard work, perhaps?

10. Well, you learn something new every day!

11. Ohhh...THAT's how he's picking new Ministers....... :p
  12. Interesting. His is not the only "joint" appointment in that list. I dont recall having seen that before.

Also in that list, the new Minister of State for the Armed Forces, Bill Rammell MP.
  13. I haven't seen that before, but isn't that what happens when you are scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent? Spread the jobs around between your better staff and hope they can juggle all the balls without dropping them!

Bill Rammell is a new name for me; I have never heard of him (he's recently been in the Foreign Office but has also frequently moved jobs since being elected to Parliament) but, as Min (AF) we'll be seeing a lot of him.

Except... he only has a majority of 97 votes!

and will be spending most of his time worrying about losing his seat!