Lord denied permission to leave!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mad_Moriarty, Oct 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A city lawyer who wants to resign his seat in the House of Lords has found out he is not allowed to.

More here
  2. You can't just leave us, there is only one way out of here.

3. "Basically we mistake passing new laws for achievements on the ground.

"We have politicians and civil servants who have done nothing outside parliament. All they are fit for is passing new sky blue laws."

If only there were a few hundred more in that place with his sense of reality.
  4. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

We are New Labour and we will assimilate you. Resistance is futile.
  5. They should be able to pass it on to other people, much like my OT season ticket lol
  6. Guess the problem just never came up before. I'm surprised that there isn't a get out clause like the post of Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds or Manor of Northstead like there is for MP's who want to resign. Probably figured after paying so much money for the things people would never want to give them up. ;)

Seriously though, it sounds like this is exactly the type of person that should be in politics at Westminster. Says something when after putting up with it for X amount of time he comes to feel it's pointless and wants to quit. It's like the old cliche really, someone gets promoted to a position of power and responsibility but protests that they didn't want it, which is exactly why you're the right man comes the reply.

Edit: Seems that there are limits on even how the hereditary peers are able to disclaim their positions. According to the Peerage Act 1963 they have to say they want to step down withing a year of succeeding to the position otherwise they're stuck with it. And since he's had the peerage since 1998 even if they tried to argue it also applied to life peers he's still out of luck.
  7. I always thought that it was organisations like the Mafia, IRA or the Communist party that it was easier to join than to leave!!!
  8. He should become a cross-bencher and speak out every time he feels unhappy. If he gets 'named' or whatever the Lords equivalent is, then he won't have to turn up and will get more publicity for his views.
  9. Ah just wait till ya have Lard Press This ( mi dear) of Two Jags, ya'll never get rid of him.
  10. So much for Freedom, sounds like the Mafia or some deranged Cult...

Hold on a seconds, it is the british Government under 'New' Labour

11. [​IMG]

Fat Cnut! :x
  12. No- Prezza the Cnut! :lol:

....a remarkable likeness! :pukel:
  13. DG I prefere to be called Plesantly Plump.
  14. This, perhaps, reflects that being a Peer of the Realm is not a job. It's an elevation to a higher position in life and, by definition, is for life. We elect MPs for the life of the Parliament only.

Maybe some of these "new" Peers should think twice before boarding what they think is the gravy train.
  15. The practice of making Life Peers has fallen into total disrepute. Formerly, it was act of God, or Fate, that led to a man or lady becoming a Peer. Most of these people were honest and diligent and above all they had no axes to grind. I think it was a bad thing to 'reward' average politicians, donors to political partys and cronies with Peerages. The benighted chump Bliar has used this device to place his friends into high and important places - Lord Chancellor, Attorney General etc, without the requirement for us, the great unwashed, to be involved. It stinks.
    The previous system worked for hundreds of years and now we have a shambles.